X-rays were negative, so Mike Napoli expects to play

Oct 28, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

2011 World Series Game 6 - Texas Rangers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

In the moment it seemed impossible that Mike Napoli would stay in the game to run the bases, let alone catch the final six (or as it turned out eight) innings, but his ugly looking ankle injury turned out to be less severe than it appeared.

X-rays taken immediately after the game were negative and Napoli told reporters that he expects to play in Game 7 tonight:

There’s one game left. We’ll get out there tomorrow and lay it on the line and hopefully the best things happen for us. I’m going to do whatever I can to stay in. We’re going to do some things tomorrow and try to get me back out there again.

“Some things” probably include a pain-killer or two, although it depends on what Napoli’s ankle looks like when he shows up at the ballpark this afternoon. Adrenaline no doubt helped him play through the pain last night, so it might actually be more difficult for him tonight.

Not only did Napoli go 2-for-3 with an RBI single in Game 6, he made a great play to pick off Matt Holliday from third base in the sixth inning. He’s just the third player in baseball history with 10 or more RBIs in one World Series and will enter Game 7 as the presumed MVP pick if the Rangers win.

1. shaggylocks - Oct 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Gah!! The human body can be an amazingly resilient thing sometimes…

2. Kyle - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Hope he can get out there close to 100%. The injured outfielders, too. This Series has been too good for elite players to sit in game 7.

• vanmorrissey - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:13 PM

True that.

3. spudchukar - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:17 PM

He deserves a new nickname and I am going with Gumby.

4. chadh88 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I hope Holliday doesn’t play. Craig should have already been in there for him to start last night.

5. cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 12:52 PM

The written description is bad enough; The sole of his foot is fully facing behind him with the toe perpendicular to vertical & rotated to the body’s midline (internally rotated). This while the leg is extended ahead and the full weight of the body on it plus running speed…makes me feel kind of sick writing that out. How was that not a dislocation? How?

Well, xrays might be negative, but that’s a sprain at least. He’s damn lucky he didn’t Kendrys Morales that ankle. Lots of ice, elevation and advil and he might be able to play today, but he is going to be turning all kinds of colors around that ankle and limping badly.

• shaggylocks - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM

In my professional medical opinion, I think his only viable option is to rub some dirt on it.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM

My inner McCarver agrees.

6. jhastrello - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Definitely an ‘old school’ type of player. When they wrap it, they will likely use duct tape!

7. paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I’m telling ya….he isn’t human…in slow motion, I am pretty sure you can see his foot come completely off an he just rulled around on the ground to hide the fact that he was re-attaching it.

• paperlions - Oct 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM

*rolled.

Damn. Can we get an upgrade in the off-season that includes an edit function? Please.

8. foreverchipper10 - Oct 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Visions of Jason Kendall danced in my head when I saw this.

1. H. Pence (2162)