Oct 28, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Brian Cashman and the Yankees have made it very clear that finalizing his new contract was merely a formality, with the general manager saying something would get done by Halloween.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the two sides have agreed to a deal and will make things official after the World Series, following Bud Selig’s wishes that big news not be broken on game days.
Well, sort of.
No word yet on the terms of the deal, but presumably Cashman will get a raise on his current $2 million salary after seeing Theo Epstein get a five-year, $20 million contract from the Cubs. And then he’ll get to work on keeping CC Sabathia in New York.
Cashman, incidentally, was involved in a minor car accident last night. Maybe now he’ll upgrade on the 2010 Jeep.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)