Yankees will announce new contract with general manager Brian Cashman after World Series

Oct 28, 2011, 4:33 PM EST

Tampa Bay Rays v New York Yankees Getty Images

Brian Cashman and the Yankees have made it very clear that finalizing his new contract was merely a formality, with the general manager saying something would get done by Halloween.

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the two sides have agreed to a deal and will make things official after the World Series, following Bud Selig’s wishes that big news not be broken on game days.

Well, sort of.

No word yet on the terms of the deal, but presumably Cashman will get a raise on his current $2 million salary after seeing Theo Epstein get a five-year, $20 million contract from the Cubs. And then he’ll get to work on keeping CC Sabathia in New York.

Cashman, incidentally, was involved in a minor car accident last night. Maybe now he’ll upgrade on the 2010 Jeep.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

“So, you’re saying, to sign my new contract, I have to scale the ceiling all the way up THERE to fetch it? Man, I hate Hank.”

2. natstowngreg - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM

The backlog is forming, awaiting the lifting of Bud’s media blackout. In addition to Cashman,

— the Cubs’ compensation fto the Red Sox and Padres;
    — the Orioles’ and Angels’ GM hires; and
    — the Nationals’ hiring of Davey Johnson to manage next season.

As the baseball season ends, and the long, cold off-season begins, we have the consolation of the Hot Stove League.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

To be fair, it’s likely that the Theo compensation isn’t decided upon yet. But yeah, expect a splurge of front office info within the next week!

3. uyf1950 - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Good. Get the deal done then finish off the CC contract/extension and move on to solidifying the rest of the Yankees starting rotation. I cast my vote for a starting rotation in 2012 of: CC, Darvish (if it’s at a reasonable cost), Nova, Hughes and unfortuately AJ. If Darvish isn’t in the cards so to speak my preference in order would be: Danks on a trade, Oswalt (2 years/$22M max), Buehrle and lastly Edwin Jackson in that order. Just my thoughts.

• yankeesgameday - Oct 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

From that list I only recommend buerhle.

• nixonotis - Oct 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I hate each and every one of those suggestions. Why overpay for mediocrity when you have plenty of young arms in the minors capable of doing the same thing?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3201)
  2. J. Kang (3074)
  3. C. McGehee (2793)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2764)
  5. J. Upton (2749)