Oct 29, 2011, 7:51 PM EDT
St. Louis’ whole “best fans in baseball” thing can get a little tired. But there are times when the city truly backs it up. Like… well… last night.
Via MLB’s public relations department, 80 percent of the televisions in St. Louis were tuned into the FOX broadcast throughout Friday’s World Series Game 7, and 89 percent of the city’s screens were tuned in by the final out of the 6-2 victory.
St. Louis is different than other baseball-loving cities (like New York, Boston, Chicago or San Francisco) in that nearly all of its inhabitants were born or raised (or both) in the area. Because of industry, geography, and other factors, it’s not a place that attracts a ton of permanent out-of-towners.
Almost everyone grows up watching the Cardinals, with a decent-to-extensive understanding of the club’s history and the current roster makeup. Of course they were watching. But that 89 percent mark is still quite amazing, and a reflection of how baseball-crazy the Gateway City really can be.
Friday’s Game 7 drew a total of 25.4 million viewers around the country, making it the most-watched baseball game since the Red Sox ended their 86-year championship drought in St. Louis back in 2004.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)