89 percent of televisions in St. Louis tuned into Game 7

Oct 29, 2011, 7:51 PM EDT

2011 World Series Game 7 - Texas Rangers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

St. Louis’ whole “best fans in baseball” thing can get a little tired. But there are times when the city truly backs it up. Like… well… last night.

Via MLB’s public relations department, 80 percent of the televisions in St. Louis were tuned into the FOX broadcast throughout Friday’s World Series Game 7, and 89 percent of the city’s screens were tuned in by the final out of the 6-2 victory.

St. Louis is different than other baseball-loving cities (like New York, Boston, Chicago or San Francisco) in that nearly all of its inhabitants were born or raised (or both) in the area. Because of industry, geography, and other factors, it’s not a place that attracts a ton of permanent out-of-towners.

Almost everyone grows up watching the Cardinals, with a decent-to-extensive understanding of the club’s history and the current roster makeup. Of course they were watching. But that 89 percent mark is still quite amazing, and a reflection of how baseball-crazy the Gateway City really can be.

Friday’s Game 7 drew a total of 25.4 million viewers around the country, making it the most-watched baseball game since the Red Sox ended their 86-year championship drought in St. Louis back in 2004.

1. skitd - Oct 29, 2011 at 8:00 PM

The other 11% were at the game

2. shawon0meter - Oct 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Even as a Cubs fan, I can admit St Louis has great and knowledgeable baseball fans. I “hate” them because of the rivalry and that’s it.

Brewers fans on the other hand…. lol

3. umrguy42 - Oct 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM

25.4 million seems a pretty good number – that’s what, 1/12th to 1/13th of the entire population of the US? For all the complaints about how bad the ratings would be…

4. sparty99 - Oct 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM

They may be great fans but I can’t think of many other cities that would be chanting for players from the opposing team (as they were with Mike Napoli during Game 6) in the World Series.

5. stlmetsfan5 - Oct 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I’m a “permanent out of towner,” and believe me, these people are not the “best fans in baseball.” Most of them have no idea what is going on in the game, only care/know about Pujols and not the other 24 players, and leave games early (see: Game 6 Thursday night). I actually heard a fan tell another fan that they’re cheering too loud. Go to one game at Busch and you’ll know what I mean.

6. nonmetsfan - Oct 30, 2011 at 11:04 AM

@stlmetsfan5

Your an indiot and probably from the bronx’s

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Ironic much?

7. theolgoaler - Oct 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM

What people tend to forget about the Cards’ fan base is they are a regional team; check out the parking garages when the Birds are playing and you’ll find license plates from Arkansas, Tennessee, Iowa, Mississippi, and Oklahoma in addition to the expected Missouri and Illinois plates. Here in northeast Arkansas, cable systems routinely carry Cardinals’ telecasts even though their “regular” FOX regional network comes out of Texas. You can hear Cards’ radio broadcasts throughout the central part of the country, thanks to 50,000-watt KMOX and a fairly extensive network of smaller stations throughout the states I mentioned earlier.

Like many fans, I learned baseball from my grandfather’s tales of the Gas House Gang, my dad’s stories of the St. Louis Swifties of the ’40s, and from Harry Caray (when he was good) and Jack Buck on the radio. I passed those stories (and my own about the ’60s El Birdos and the “Whiteyball” ’80s) on to my son.

Yeah, Busch Stadium has its’ share of “know-nothing”/drunk/obnoxious fans… but it’s been my experience that the crowds in The Lou have more than the usual share of fans keeping score/applauding good “little” plays (from both teams)/being polite to total strangers than one will find elsewhere. Your Mileage May Vary… ;-)

8. wardmanone - Oct 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM

stlmetsfan, your not idiot that would be disservice to those who are idiots and they are smarter then you. I found the fans the Mets fans brilliant over charge for product on the field, plus such educated group both of them. Don’t go to another Cardinal game not sure id you can get vendor job in NY though… continue to follow the second worst franchise who over spent on Free Agents and there big more will be what re sign your FA SS. That will be a great move.

9. sportsdrenched.com - Oct 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM

There is a Cards affiliate as far west as Enid, OK. A lot the Cardinals fan base comes from the fact that for decades the Cardinals were the only team west of the Mississippi River (barely). Are Cardinals fans because that fandom gets passed down through the generations, and they’ve been successful enough that the 3rd generation fans stick around even though they’re hundreds of miles from St Louis.

Listening to the Cardinals on the farm is has been written about more than once in literature about the heartland, especially from the 50’s & 60’s.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3502)