Oct 29, 2011, 1:49 AM EDT
As one would expect, Albert Pujols didn’t immediately have much to say about whether Friday’s Game 7 victory was his last game as a Cardinal:
You know what? I’m not even thinking about that. I’m thinking about, you know, we’re the world champions and I’m going to celebrate and whenever that time comes, you know, then we’ll deal with it. But right now, you know, I enjoy this. You never know when it’s going to be your last one so I’m going to enjoy this one like the same way that I did my first one. So thank you to all the fans for the support.
Pujols had a decidedly odd World Series. Apart from his five-hit, three-homer outburst in Game 3, he went 1-for-19 with no RBI. He did walk six times, though. In Game 7, he came around to score after both a walk and a HBP.
Pujols, of course, is a free agent for the first time this winter, and he could be in line for the third $200 million contract (and first not signed by Alex Rodriguez) in baseball history. The Rangers, Cubs, Nationals and Angels are a few of the teams that may weigh putting in a bid for the three-time NL MVP.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)