Oct 29, 2011, 1:49 AM EDT
As one would expect, Albert Pujols didn’t immediately have much to say about whether Friday’s Game 7 victory was his last game as a Cardinal:
You know what? I’m not even thinking about that. I’m thinking about, you know, we’re the world champions and I’m going to celebrate and whenever that time comes, you know, then we’ll deal with it. But right now, you know, I enjoy this. You never know when it’s going to be your last one so I’m going to enjoy this one like the same way that I did my first one. So thank you to all the fans for the support.
Pujols had a decidedly odd World Series. Apart from his five-hit, three-homer outburst in Game 3, he went 1-for-19 with no RBI. He did walk six times, though. In Game 7, he came around to score after both a walk and a HBP.
Pujols, of course, is a free agent for the first time this winter, and he could be in line for the third $200 million contract (and first not signed by Alex Rodriguez) in baseball history. The Rangers, Cubs, Nationals and Angels are a few of the teams that may weigh putting in a bid for the three-time NL MVP.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)