Oct 29, 2011, 1:49 AM EST
As one would expect, Albert Pujols didn’t immediately have much to say about whether Friday’s Game 7 victory was his last game as a Cardinal:
You know what? I’m not even thinking about that. I’m thinking about, you know, we’re the world champions and I’m going to celebrate and whenever that time comes, you know, then we’ll deal with it. But right now, you know, I enjoy this. You never know when it’s going to be your last one so I’m going to enjoy this one like the same way that I did my first one. So thank you to all the fans for the support.
Pujols had a decidedly odd World Series. Apart from his five-hit, three-homer outburst in Game 3, he went 1-for-19 with no RBI. He did walk six times, though. In Game 7, he came around to score after both a walk and a HBP.
Pujols, of course, is a free agent for the first time this winter, and he could be in line for the third $200 million contract (and first not signed by Alex Rodriguez) in baseball history. The Rangers, Cubs, Nationals and Angels are a few of the teams that may weigh putting in a bid for the three-time NL MVP.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)