Oct 29, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Some have speculated that the Angels could be a player for Jose Reyes or another high-profile free agent this winter, but if owner Arte Moreno can be believed, a big ticket item might not be in the cards.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Moreno said this afternoon that the Angels will likely have a payroll in the $130-140 range in 2012. The Angels had a team record $142 million payroll in 2011 and missed the playoffs for the second straight season.
The Angels already have around $100 million tied up in just nine players next season. Yes, Vernon Wells is the albatross that keeps on giving. Assuming they tender contracts to Jerome Williams, Kendrys Morales, Alberto Callaspo, Erick Aybar and Howie Kendrick, they will be somewhere around $120 million. Unless new general manager Jerry Dipoto can get creative, that leaves little wiggle room for a major addition via free agency.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 41
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (85)