Oct 29, 2011, 3:22 PM EST
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, new Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said yesterday that Jenks is “making progress” in his treatments. While the condition wasn’t considered career-threatening, Jenks was put on blood thinners after the diagnosis, delaying surgery to address a back injury which kept him sidelined for most of the season.
The current plan calls for Jenks to be reevaluated in December. The 30-year-old right-hander could be cleared for back surgery if all goes well, but his status for the early part of 2012 remains in doubt.
Jenks, who signed a two-year, $12 million contract with the Red Sox last December, posted a 6.32 ERA and 17/13 K/BB ratio over 15 2/3 innings this season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)