Oct 29, 2011, 12:03 AM EDT
It won’t make them feel much better tonight and replacing the team’s ace for a second straight offseason would be a tall order, but Rangers fans should take some solace in the fact that C.J. Wilson is their only significant free agent.
Wilson, who earned $7 million in his final year of arbitration, figures to be the second-most sought after starting pitcher on the market behind CC Sabathia. He struggled in the postseason again, but Wilson threw 223 innings with a 2.94 ERA and 206 strikeouts in the regular season and is a relatively young free agent at age 30.
Replacing him would obviously be tough, but the Rangers’ only other free agent regulars are 40-year-old middle reliever Darren Oliver and third-stringer catcher Matt Treanor. Everyone else is either under contract or arbitration eligible, although they may look to make some moves involving, say, Yorvit Torrealba and Koji Uehara. Or maybe shop Michael Young and the $32 million remaining on his deal around the league again.
Regardless of what happens with Wilson this Rangers team is without question set up to make another deep run next season. Nolan Ryan somehow gets all the credit, but the team’s actual general manager, Jon Daniels, has done a very good job building a deep, talented roster. It’ll be interesting to see how strongly their effort is to re-sign Wilson and how tempted they’ll be to shake things up for the sake of shaking things up.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)