Oct 29, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Confirming what was reported by Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com yesterday, the Angels just announced that they have hired Jerry Dipoto as general manager. He’ll receive a five-year contract to replace Tony Reagins, who resigned from his post as GM at the end of September.
Here’s Dipoto, as quoted in a release from the team:
“What a thrill this is,” said Dipoto. “I am excited and honored to be part of one of the premier franchises in baseball. The club’s success in the last 10 years isn’t just notable, it has catapulted the Angels into one of the top organizations in baseball.”
“We want to continue the success here with an increased focus on scouting and player development. We will always have championship expectations,” added Dipoto.
Dipoto, who pitched eight seasons in the big leagues with the Indians, Mets and Rockies, was the Diamondbacks’ vice president of scouting and player development this season under new general manager Kevin Towers. He impressed many around baseball when he served as Arizona’s interim general manager last season, including a bold trade that sent Dan Haren to, you guessed it, the Angels.
UPDATE: Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dipoto’s contract is not five years, but three years guaranteed with two option years.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)