Oct 29, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Confirming what was reported by Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com yesterday, the Angels just announced that they have hired Jerry Dipoto as general manager. He’ll receive a five-year contract to replace Tony Reagins, who resigned from his post as GM at the end of September.
Here’s Dipoto, as quoted in a release from the team:
“What a thrill this is,” said Dipoto. “I am excited and honored to be part of one of the premier franchises in baseball. The club’s success in the last 10 years isn’t just notable, it has catapulted the Angels into one of the top organizations in baseball.”
“We want to continue the success here with an increased focus on scouting and player development. We will always have championship expectations,” added Dipoto.
Dipoto, who pitched eight seasons in the big leagues with the Indians, Mets and Rockies, was the Diamondbacks’ vice president of scouting and player development this season under new general manager Kevin Towers. He impressed many around baseball when he served as Arizona’s interim general manager last season, including a bold trade that sent Dan Haren to, you guessed it, the Angels.
UPDATE: Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dipoto’s contract is not five years, but three years guaranteed with two option years.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (110)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)