Oct 29, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Confirming what was reported by Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com yesterday, the Angels just announced that they have hired Jerry Dipoto as general manager. He’ll receive a five-year contract to replace Tony Reagins, who resigned from his post as GM at the end of September.
Here’s Dipoto, as quoted in a release from the team:
“What a thrill this is,” said Dipoto. “I am excited and honored to be part of one of the premier franchises in baseball. The club’s success in the last 10 years isn’t just notable, it has catapulted the Angels into one of the top organizations in baseball.”
“We want to continue the success here with an increased focus on scouting and player development. We will always have championship expectations,” added Dipoto.
Dipoto, who pitched eight seasons in the big leagues with the Indians, Mets and Rockies, was the Diamondbacks’ vice president of scouting and player development this season under new general manager Kevin Towers. He impressed many around baseball when he served as Arizona’s interim general manager last season, including a bold trade that sent Dan Haren to, you guessed it, the Angels.
UPDATE: Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Dipoto’s contract is not five years, but three years guaranteed with two option years.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 42
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 29
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 82
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)