Oct 29, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton wasn’t the only member of the Rangers playing through a painful injury.
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Mike Gonzalez has a torn meniscus in his left knee. He was pulled from the seventh inning of Game 7 last night due to the injury, which he originally suffered late in the season.
“We didn’t want to tell anybody so they wouldn’t try to bunt or anything,” Gonzalez said. “I just had to gut it out until the end.”
Gonzalez will undergo surgery on the knee next week, but expects to be ready for spring training. The impending free agent had a 4.15 ERA over eight postseason appearances and compiled a 4.39 ERA and 51/21 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings during the regular season between Texas and Baltimore. The 33-year-old southpaw held left-handed batters to a cool .214/.264/.311 batting line. While he won’t receive a two-year, $12 million contract again, he certainly still has value in a set-up role.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)