Oct 29, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton wasn’t the only member of the Rangers playing through a painful injury.
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Mike Gonzalez has a torn meniscus in his left knee. He was pulled from the seventh inning of Game 7 last night due to the injury, which he originally suffered late in the season.
“We didn’t want to tell anybody so they wouldn’t try to bunt or anything,” Gonzalez said. “I just had to gut it out until the end.”
Gonzalez will undergo surgery on the knee next week, but expects to be ready for spring training. The impending free agent had a 4.15 ERA over eight postseason appearances and compiled a 4.39 ERA and 51/21 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings during the regular season between Texas and Baltimore. The 33-year-old southpaw held left-handed batters to a cool .214/.264/.311 batting line. While he won’t receive a two-year, $12 million contract again, he certainly still has value in a set-up role.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)