Oct 29, 2011, 9:05 PM EST
The Rangers drew several thousand fans to a rally outside the Ballpark in Arlington a few days after last season’s World Series loss to the Giants.
Despite that strong turnout, the organization is not going to host a similar event this time around.
According to Eva-Marie Ayala of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers higher-ups asked Arlington mayor Robert Chuck to not set schedule a fan rally to celebrate the club’s second straight trip to the World Series. Here’s the explanation from Rangers VP of communications John Blake:
“We just felt last year was a special time because we were going for the first time in the history of the franchise. We felt that making it for the second year in a row, unless we won, we wouldn’t have a celebration. Our expectations are higher now, so that’s the way we felt was the most appropriate way to handle it. While going to World Series back to back is something we’ll cherish, we felt we should only celebrate if there was a Series win.”
Gotta dig the honesty, and the acknowledgment that expectations have been raised. The Rangers are a first-class organization with a bright future. They’re no longer content with simply reaching the Fall Classic.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)