Oct 29, 2011, 9:05 PM EST
The Rangers drew several thousand fans to a rally outside the Ballpark in Arlington a few days after last season’s World Series loss to the Giants.
Despite that strong turnout, the organization is not going to host a similar event this time around.
According to Eva-Marie Ayala of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rangers higher-ups asked Arlington mayor Robert Chuck to not set schedule a fan rally to celebrate the club’s second straight trip to the World Series. Here’s the explanation from Rangers VP of communications John Blake:
“We just felt last year was a special time because we were going for the first time in the history of the franchise. We felt that making it for the second year in a row, unless we won, we wouldn’t have a celebration. Our expectations are higher now, so that’s the way we felt was the most appropriate way to handle it. While going to World Series back to back is something we’ll cherish, we felt we should only celebrate if there was a Series win.”
Gotta dig the honesty, and the acknowledgment that expectations have been raised. The Rangers are a first-class organization with a bright future. They’re no longer content with simply reaching the Fall Classic.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 37
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 43
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)