Ryan Franklin is getting a World Series ring

Oct 29, 2011, 2:14 AM EST

Ryan Franklin Getty Images

The Cardinals used 46 players on their way to a World Series victory, and given recent precedent, every single one of them will be getting some bling.

Of course, some will deserve it more than others. Here’s a glimpse at a few of the lesser lights on the 2011 Cardinals…

Ryan Franklin: An effective, if underpowered, closer the previous couple of years, Franklin was the main culprit in an astoundingly awful bullpen early on, racking up an 8.46 ERA in 21 appearances. He was eventually released having converted just one of his five save chances.

Corey Patterson: The Cards felt they needed some extra outfield depth when they traded Colby Rasmus to Toronto, so the Blue Jays gave up Patterson as a throw-in. Patterson went on to hit .157 in 51 at-bats, and he nearly lost the Cardinals a key game with a ninth-inning drop against the Phillies on Sept. 16. Needless to say, he wasn’t included on the postseason roster.

Pete Kozma: At 23, Kozma was the youngest position player to appear for the Cardinals this season. The former first-round pick went 3-for-17 in a pair of first-half callups and was never heard from again. The Cards didn’t bother giving him another look in September after he hit just .214 in Triple-A.

Trever Miller: A formerly reliable lefty specialist, Miller had more walks (10) than strikeouts (nine) in his 39 appearances before being sent packing.

Miguel Batista: Also had more walks than strikeouts in his 26 appearances for the Cardinals. The 40-year-old Batista went on to finish the season with the Mets, but he’ll be getting his second World Series ring anyway.

1. sawxalicious - Oct 29, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Do you think they’ll ever wear the rings or just put them in a dresser drawer? Would make an akward conversation piece…”I was one of the worst parts of the best team in 2011.”

2. cur68 - Oct 29, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Sooo…Colby Rasmus? Ring or no ring? I bet the Tonys have differing opinions…

• rambodiaz - Oct 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM

The Rasmus question is an interesting one. I imagine he’ll get a ring, but it sure would be interesting to hear the player’s side of that discussion, as well as seeing the tally from the vote of the playoff shares.

If nothing else, maybe he deserves one just for being the piece that brought back so much bullpen help.

• cur68 - Oct 29, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I cannot believe how big Dotel & Scrabble were for LaRussa. Scrabble was solid enough in long relief for the Jays; I was mildly sorry to see him go. Dotel had his moments as a Jay, most of which left me in a rage with him, but of the 2 he was the most electrifying this post season. He was great (and keep in mind that I dislike the guy; stupid fuax hawk and potbelly! If you could throw 96mph, why didn’t you do it for the Jays, you ninny?). Maybe that’s it then; Rasmus for his role in contributing Dotel and Scrabble to TLR’s bullpen = WS Ring. They should engrave that on the ring.

• paperlions - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I bet they don’t have differing opinions. TLR isn’t that petty, if asked, he would say that everyone that was part of the team should get a ring.

• cur68 - Oct 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Yeah, I can get behind that statement. He probably does get a ring & TLR isn’t petty…but will Rasmus wear it?

3. umrguy42 - Oct 29, 2011 at 2:35 AM

I think Franky should get one as, well, essentially a “thanks for all you’ve done” for the last couple years, if for no other reason.

4. coachbrew - Oct 29, 2011 at 3:57 AM

I always wondered why they do this. I can’t imagine these guys will wear them at all. Even the guys who played a bigger role during the season it seems strange to give them a ring if they weren’t on the playoff roster.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I maintain the position that you should be on the post-season roster to qualify. As we’ve seen Regular Season performance may have an impact but the reward should go to the guys that you know, were actually THERE to win the championship.

I think Adam Eaton got a ring for the 2008 Phillies. The man actually believes he had a useful role in getting the Phillies a Championship that year.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 29, 2011 at 1:22 PM

That just made me realize that if the Phillies had won the World Series, J.C. Romero and Baez would have gotten rings! LOL! (Well Baez deserves one for being an unofficial pitching coach, helping out Bastardo from Florida and whatnot, but J.C.!? Damn that would have been almost on par with Eaton!)

5. lovesmesomeme - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Can I have one?

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I was tlr’s bartender bartender and I ran interference for him when chris Hansen for to catch a predator called.

6. humanexcrement - Oct 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM

So, Colby, still listening to your dumbass Daddy?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM

To be fair, if Colby stays St. Louis might not have gotten the pitching help to get them over the hump.

7. Kyle - Oct 29, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Miguel Batista: Two World Series Rings. Don’t let anyone tell you that the universe doesn’t have an excellent sense of humor.

8. ermur22 - Oct 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Wonder how much one of those rings would go for????? And how do they determine playoff shares

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6229)