Yankees exercise 2012 club options on Cano, Swisher

Oct 29, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox v New York Yankees Getty Images

From beat writer Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger comes word that the Yankees have exercised 2012 club options on second baseman Robinson Cano and right fielder Nick Swisher.

Cano’s option is worth $14 million, a bargain rate for a player of his caliber. The 29-year-old All-Star batted .302 with an .882 OPS, 28 home runs and 118 RBI in 681 plate appearances this season for the American League East champions. He’ll also be a bargain next year — if healthy — on a $15 million club option.

The decision on Swisher may have been a little tougher, but still a no-brainer for a team with the Yanks’ revenue. He’ll make $10.25 million next season after batting .260/.374/.449 with 23 homers in 2011.

Look for more option decisions on Sunday and Monday, leading up to the October 31 midnight deadline.

1. uyf1950 - Oct 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM

The option pick up of both players was a no brainer. Even if the Yankees intend to do something else with RF (like sign Beltran) which I don’t think they intend to do. They can always make Swisher available in a trade his upcoming $10.25M payday in 2012 is very reasonable in today’s baseball market. Like I said I think Swisher will be the starting RF’er for the Yankees come the start of the 2012 season.

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 29, 2011 at 10:55 PM

I agree with what he said even though it was said in the article. Although I want to say it really really a no brainer.

• uyf1950 - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:01 PM

BTW, that only leaves CC on the Yankees active roster and the decision that he needs to make by Monday midnight about opting out or not of the remaining 4 years of his contract. Other than CC the only players the Yankees really need to concern themselves with are arbitration eligible an pre-arbitration players basically (Hughes, Martin, Gardner, Nova, Robertson, Logan, Chamberlain, Nunez, Montero, Noesi and Wade). none of these should be an issue.

They do have 4 free agents: Chavez, Jones, Colon and Garcia. I don’t see any of these as irreplaceable if they chose not to return in 2012 or if the Yankees don’t resign them. That’s just my opinion.

• stratomaticfan - Oct 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM

$10.25 million for a guy who has proven that he can only hit bad pitching and historically DISAPPEARS in the postseason? That’s a big time waste. Cano, however is a no-brainer. They should lock him up to a LT deal.

2. btwicey - Oct 29, 2011 at 10:57 PM

You can trade for Mauer please?…

• henryd3rd - Oct 30, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Please!!!!! Mauer is a shell of the player he once was since that concussion. Plus the Yankees still have Russell Martin, Cervelli as well as those two youngsters Montero and Romine. Mauer may never ever get back to the level of play when he was a perennial MVP candidate. Plus what make you think Mauer would do well in NY. Many a great player has faded under the expectations and pressure associated with playing in NY

3. Brian Donohue - Oct 29, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Pujols could play RF at YS.$250M and he’s yours for a decade, Hank.

• bigharold - Oct 30, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Pujols might well be in the Yankees future if St Louis isn’t smart enough sign him before he gets to free agency.

Between him, A-Rod and Teixeira they could share 1B, 3B and the DH slot and still play 150+ games a year. The Yankees have a track record for this type of signing and the resources to pull it off.

It would be far better if Pujols stays with the Card’s but if he gets as far as FA then anything is possible. And, Pujols will look good in pinstripes too.

• mrfloydpink - Oct 30, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Posts like this one are the reason people hate Yankees fans.

First of all, you seem to think you’re entitled to Pujols if the Cardinals don’t sign him. Guess what? You’re not. It would be nice if Yankees fans would stop entering EVERY offseason with the idea that whomever the biggest free agent is, regardless of price, will probably be theirs. It’s incredibly annoying.

Second, your proposed scheme is MORONIC. Do you really think any of those three players will be happy as a backup? Because that is what one of them would have to be. Tex can’t play third, and arguably neither can Pujols any more. That means that either Tex would be the backup 1B/primary DH, or Pujols wold be the primary DH/backup 1B/occasional 3B. Neither Tex nor Pujols sees themselves as a backup or a DH. And even if they are somehow persuaded, what will happen with Jesus Montero? Or Jeter when he can’t play SS daily?

• uyf1950 - Oct 30, 2011 at 6:21 AM

mrfloyd, personally I do not agree with bigharolds hypothesis. But as a Yankees fan I find your comment offensive.

What has he said that you find so objectionable? That Pujols might well be in the Yankees future if St Louis isn’t smart enough sign him before he gets to free agency? Is that so far fetched, in light of the fact that Albert is probably the single best player in MLB and has been for at least the last 4 or 5 years. Or perhaps it’s his comment that 3 players A-Rod, Tex and Pujols could share 2 defensive and 1 offensive position(s) for the next 4 or 5 years. Or are you just plain miffed because of his statement “The Yankees have a track record for this type of signing and the resources to pull it off”? Because to be honest that statement is 100% accurate. You can’t possibly object to the comment “It would be far better if Pujols stays with the Card’s but if he gets as far as FA then anything is possible”. Because again that’s about as accurate a statement as anyone can make this season about Pujols pending free agency. That only leaves the last comment by bigharold. “Pujols will look good in pinstripes too.” I can see where that might bother you. But to be fair any fan of any of the MLB teams that doesn’t think Pujols would look good in their teams uniform is either crazy or stupid.

Like I said when I started this comment I don’t agree with bigharold’s comments but he didn’t say anything that would justify your very first sentence. BTW, I’ve been a Yankees fan for many, many years. I remember going to games with Yogi, Mickey, Whitey, Clete Boyer, Elston Howard and the rest of the “early” Yankees of my childhood generation. And you’ll have to excuse me for this very last comment. I don’t care if fans of “other” teams dislike or even hate me because I’m a Yankees fan. It goes with the territory.

• henryd3rd - Oct 30, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Stupid comment if I ever heard one. Never going to happen. After having won the “Big One” I dare say Albert will remain a Cardinal. Why would he want to leave that team, city and fans to be subjected to constant scrutiny by the press, high expectation from the fans and loose of privacy to play for the Yankees? He’s got it made in St. Louis and if he and his agent are smart they’ll remain in St. Louis.

• cowboysoldiertx - Oct 30, 2011 at 9:57 AM

This will never happen. Pujols is a Card for life. But to the other guy who commented on this… Fans of every team say dumb crap. Just Yankee fans have the money to think bigger.

• uyf1950 - Oct 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM

To henryd3rd – I have no doubt that Pujols would very much like to remain a Cardinal for “life”. As for will he. I think the ball is in the ownership’s court to make that happen and I think that’s all bigharold was saying. The way I see it and this is just my opinion if the Cardinals really want him to stay it’s going to take an offer of AT LEAST 7 years and $30M per and probably more realistically 8 years at $30M per. I say that for 3 reason.
        First, the Red Sox signed Crawford to a 7 year $142M (just over $20M per) deal prior to the start of the 2011 season. And Crawford isn’t 1/4 the player Pujols has been, is or will be.
        Second, The Red Sox signed Adrian Gonzalez to a 7 year $154M ($22M per) deal just after the start of the 2011 season. And while Gonzalez is a very good player he isn’t 1/2 the player Pujols has been is or will be.
        Third, A-Rod has a contract that pays him on average $27.5M per year over 10 years.
        Now I’m not suggesting that Pujols will get 10 years from anyone but the point of my 3 analogies is that I think the 7 years both Crawford and Gonzalez signed for just recently and the $27.5M average A-Rod contract is the absolute minimum starting point in any negotiation with Pujols. And as I said 7 years/$30M or more likely 8 years/$30M will be the contract Pujols will settle for. Especially from the Cardinals since he has been a “bargain for them these last several years. And if the Cardinals are not willing to “belly up to the bar” so to speak, fans could very well see him wearing another teams uniform come the 2012 season. And I think that’s the only point bigharold was trying to make.

• marinersnate - Oct 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM

“BTW, I’ve been a Yankees fan for many, many years.”

Yes, we can tell.

• uyf1950 - Oct 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

To marinersnate – I’ve found over these many months here that sometimes and with some posters it never hurts to state the obviously. I’m happy to see that you are not one of those. Enjoy the off season and MLB’s free agency.

4. shozo26 - Oct 30, 2011 at 8:07 AM

I was hoping get pujols put him in left and Gardner in right

• henryd3rd - Oct 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Stop it please!!!!! Where do you folks come from. Have you been living under a rock this past season. Even the Yankees have limits on how much they can spend. Albert is not coming to NY. Get real! Now get a life and stop posting stupid comments. Turn off your PC, watch football games, read a book or get a life because it is obvious you know nothing about baseball! Dumb post!

• cowboysoldiertx - Oct 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Dude if you don’t want to read other peoples opinion why dont you turn off your PC, watch football games, read a book or get a life because it is obvious you know nothing about baseball! Dumb post! Dumb poster!

5. halladaysbiceps - Oct 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Charlie Manuel has made it apparent that he wants an upgrade at 3rd base. If I were the Phillies, I would sign Pujols and have him play 3rd base. Then, they could play Pujols beyond 2012 in left field.

• cowboysoldiertx - Oct 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Mr. Biceps get real. Phills dont have the money to do this and no one in their right mind wants to play in the craphole that is Philly. Town of wife-beaters and dog killers is all that it is!

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Hahahaha!!!! You’re a Cowboy’s fan and from Texas. How’s your sister, I mean wife doing today?

The Phillies have the money to sign whoever they want. It’s just a matter if they want to. We will see that the Phils and Ruben Amaro have planned.

Town of wife-beaters and dog killers? Actually, I think those are two hobbies they do in Texas, not Pennsylvania. At least be more creative with your insults.

6. Brian Donohue - Oct 30, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Ah, offensive American tribalism, where would we be without it? Now, let’s do a calm dose of reality here: nothing gets AP away from St. Loo except for a combination of 2 things: obviously, lots of green; something in the $220-$250M range for a decade; and perhaps just as meaningful, an alluring new array of playing options. So I think the biceps notion in Philly (great, great city, by the way) has substance, so does RF in New York and LF at Fenway. And the reality, good, bad, or indifferent, is that these teams/cities have the cash to spend. We’re talking here about a fellow who in 5 or 10 yrs. will probably be on anyone’s top-5-players ever list. That is, he’s not just the cream of this year’s crop; he’s the golden froth of an entire era in baseball. And that puts all the teams that could possibly afford him into the mix as in, just get him on your team and then figure out where/how to use him…

• lazlosother - Oct 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM

There are teams that can afford Pujols that won’t be in the mix. Like NY. They have no spot for him. Their payroll has not increased in three seasons and likely won’t increase next year either. Rationality has to enter in somewhere.

Big Harold is suggesting that NY pay 25-30 m a year, plus the 40% luxury tax to turn King Albert into a super-utility player. On what level is this realistic? Does anyone think that Albert would like to do this? Does anyone think Cashman is insane enough to pursue this? I do not.

As for RF. Similar issue. Who thinks that at 31 Albert wants to transition from 1B to RF? He’s the best player in baseball. He doesn’t need to switch positions to make a boatload of money. There is no guarantee that he would be even an average RF.

With the hole NY has in the rotation, and the fact that they were 2d in runs scored in ’11 without Albert, my guess is any cash they have goes for pitching.

7. anxovies - Oct 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Not only would Albert look good in pinstripes, he deserves to be a Yankee. He is the greatest right hand hitter since Rogers Hornsby. If $250M will get him at 32 years old, take him. He came up as a third baseman and outfielder so right field should not be a problem for him. As far as those who say that the Yankees feel entitled to buy the best free agents available, you are right. Unlike the owners of many teams the Steinbrenners put their money back into the team and not in their pocket. What’s wrong with that, Los Angeles and Florida?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3191)