Oct 30, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
The Giants are looking at a pretty expensive 2012 bullpen after locking up two of this year’s top free agent left-handed relievers on Sunday.
Hours after agreeing to terms with Javier Lopez on a two-year, $8.5 million contract, the Giants exercised fellow southpaw Jeremy Affeldt‘s $5 million option for 2012.
Affeldt would have received a $500,000 buyout had the Giants declined the option.
Here’s the salary breakdown for the Giants’ top six relievers in 2012:
The last three are all eligible for arbitration, so those salaries are approximates. Nonetheless, the Giants are looking at spending about $25 million on their top six relievers next year.
Affeldt, 32, bounced back from a disappointing 2010 to finish with a 2.63 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP in 61 2/3 innings last season. However, he missed the last three weeks with a cut on his right hand suffered in an accident involving a knife and a box of frozen hamburgers.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead