Oct 30, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
The Giants are looking at a pretty expensive 2012 bullpen after locking up two of this year’s top free agent left-handed relievers on Sunday.
Hours after agreeing to terms with Javier Lopez on a two-year, $8.5 million contract, the Giants exercised fellow southpaw Jeremy Affeldt‘s $5 million option for 2012.
Affeldt would have received a $500,000 buyout had the Giants declined the option.
Here’s the salary breakdown for the Giants’ top six relievers in 2012:
The last three are all eligible for arbitration, so those salaries are approximates. Nonetheless, the Giants are looking at spending about $25 million on their top six relievers next year.
Affeldt, 32, bounced back from a disappointing 2010 to finish with a 2.63 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP in 61 2/3 innings last season. However, he missed the last three weeks with a cut on his right hand suffered in an accident involving a knife and a box of frozen hamburgers.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)