Oct 30, 2011, 9:00 PM EST
The Giants are looking at a pretty expensive 2012 bullpen after locking up two of this year’s top free agent left-handed relievers on Sunday.
Hours after agreeing to terms with Javier Lopez on a two-year, $8.5 million contract, the Giants exercised fellow southpaw Jeremy Affeldt‘s $5 million option for 2012.
Affeldt would have received a $500,000 buyout had the Giants declined the option.
Here’s the salary breakdown for the Giants’ top six relievers in 2012:
The last three are all eligible for arbitration, so those salaries are approximates. Nonetheless, the Giants are looking at spending about $25 million on their top six relievers next year.
Affeldt, 32, bounced back from a disappointing 2010 to finish with a 2.63 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP in 61 2/3 innings last season. However, he missed the last three weeks with a cut on his right hand suffered in an accident involving a knife and a box of frozen hamburgers.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)