Oct 30, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
Veteran reliever Joe Nathan posted a disappointing 4.84 ERA in 44 2/3 innings this season. And while his numbers were greatly improved in the second half, the Twins made the no-brainer decision earlier this month to decline his $12.5M option for 2012.
Nathan will become a free agent on Thursday, allowed to sign with any team he chooses.
From the sound of it, he’s already expecting to hear from one particular organization.
According to Greg Logan of Newsday, the 36-year-old right-hander told a group of people at Stony Brook University this weekend that he would enjoy finishing out his career with the Mets, a team he grew up rooting for as a child of Pine Bush, New York.
“We’re definitely not counting any teams out,” said Nathan, a Stony Brook alum. “But obviously, the Mets are going to be on my radar. It’s a team I followed growing up around this area. That would be exciting. The dollars are kind of on the back burner. It’s all about winning right now. Where I’m at in my career, I just want to be on a club that has a chance to go to the postseason and have a chance to pitch in big games.”
The Mets, in their current state, probably fall short of meeting that “chance to go the postseason” criterion. But it sure sounds like Nathan would offer his “hometown team” a small discount if they’re interested.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 20
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)