Angels owner says GM Jerry Dipoto “has complete power”

Oct 31, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT

Jerry Dipoto, Mike Scioscia AP

In the wake of Tony Reagins stepping down as Angels general manager there were reports about how manager Mike Scioscia was truly running the show, but in introducing Jerry Dipoto yesterday owner Arte Moreno said the new GM “has complete power.”

Here’s what Dipoto said about Scioscia’s influence on roster moves:

I didn’t wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat wondering if I was going to get steamrolled by Mike. At no time did this become a sticking point for me. I’ve worked in this business my entire adult life, for 24 years, and what might look unusual outside the league is very common to me. I love the opinion of baseball people. I love talking to strong-minded people.

And here’s what Scioscia had to say:

Jerry will get opinions from me, sometimes strong opinions. Sometimes he’ll act on them, sometimes he won’t. That’s how we’ve worked for 12 years.

It’s interesting how the quote progression works there. The owner says the new GM “has complete power.” The new GM says he welcomes opinions from the longtime manager. And the longtime manager says he plans to give the new GM plenty of strong opinions. Not quite a disconnect, but Dipoto truly having “complete power” without any influence from Scioscia is a tough sell at this point.

1. paperlions - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Since when is Sciosca bald? I remember this kid: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y2jPfFxVTZo/TUtDWH9jeHI/AAAAAAAAGJs/2LmwYCdtuo0/s320/mikesciosciadodgers1.jpg

• cur68 - Oct 31, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Interesting; in that picture of him, all those years ago, I can already see his hate for Mike Napoli…

2. phukyouk - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:07 PM

ULTIMATE POWER!

3. natstowngreg - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:08 PM

If I were an Angels’ fan, I’d hope that DiPoto would seek Scioscia’s input. That’s not giving up power, that’s smart management. I’d be much more skeptical about Moreno’s pledge that he won’t meddle.

4. greycelt - Oct 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Hey NBC and Aaron Gleeman…why don’t you put these statements in proper context instead of using your journalistic license to “spin” the story how you want to? I watched the press conference and Scioscia’s statement came before DiPoto’s statement so it wasn’t a response to DiPoto as you have portrayed it here. Plus, in your quote by DiPoto, you have the sentences out of order according to how he actually said it. So, NBC and Mr. Gleeman, why don’t you stop trying to “spin” the drama and just report the FACTS about what was actually said in the correct context and chronological order that it was stated.

Especially when you state in this article, “It’s interesting how the quote progression works there.” You’re basing your story on the “quote progression” and you have the “quote progression” in the wrong “progression”.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3997)