Oct 31, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
UPDATE: Now the tweeterbugs are speculating that the press conference is not about Molina, but about La Russa. The betting is the announcement that he’s going to return next year.
That would make more sense than a retirement announcement. For one thing he’s flying to New York today to do Letterman tonight and if he were retiring you figure he’d want to be around for all of the parties and thanks and hoopla that would entail. Coming back? That’s just a quickie announcement. For another thing La Russa doesn’t strike me as a “leave on top” type. For yet another thing there’s a chance the Cardinals are better next year with Adam Wainwright coming back and everything so why not give it another go?
Anyway: we’ll know in a few minutes.
8:45 AM: The Cardinals have announced a 10AM Eastern/9AM Central press conference. No word on what it’s about, but you can probably assume that it’s not about Albert Pujols because, like, 500 people would have been “hearing this” and talking about talking to insiders and all of that jazz before now if it was.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com speculates that the presser will be about Yadier Molina. Molina has a 2012 club option for $7 million which is one of the most brain-free no-brainers of the entire offseason. The Cardinals probably just wanted to exercise it now before Molina cleans out his St. Louis place and heads to the Molina mothership or wherever it is he heads for the winter.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)