Oct 31, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
UPDATE: Now the tweeterbugs are speculating that the press conference is not about Molina, but about La Russa. The betting is the announcement that he’s going to return next year.
That would make more sense than a retirement announcement. For one thing he’s flying to New York today to do Letterman tonight and if he were retiring you figure he’d want to be around for all of the parties and thanks and hoopla that would entail. Coming back? That’s just a quickie announcement. For another thing La Russa doesn’t strike me as a “leave on top” type. For yet another thing there’s a chance the Cardinals are better next year with Adam Wainwright coming back and everything so why not give it another go?
Anyway: we’ll know in a few minutes.
8:45 AM: The Cardinals have announced a 10AM Eastern/9AM Central press conference. No word on what it’s about, but you can probably assume that it’s not about Albert Pujols because, like, 500 people would have been “hearing this” and talking about talking to insiders and all of that jazz before now if it was.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com speculates that the presser will be about Yadier Molina. Molina has a 2012 club option for $7 million which is one of the most brain-free no-brainers of the entire offseason. The Cardinals probably just wanted to exercise it now before Molina cleans out his St. Louis place and heads to the Molina mothership or wherever it is he heads for the winter.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)