Oct 31, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Fausto Carmona will stay with Cleveland in 2012 after the team exercised his $7 million option, but the Indians made Grady Sizemore a free agent by choosing a $500,000 buyout rather than pay him $8.5 million following another injury wrecked season.
Once upon a time Sizemore was one of the best young players in baseball and the Indians’ biggest long-term building block, but he hasn’t been productive since 2009 and hasn’t been healthy and productive since 2008.
During the past two seasons he’s missed 220 of a possible 324 games while hitting just .220 with a .659 OPS and knee injuries cast some doubt on his ability to be an asset in center field at age 29. I’ll be interesting to see if any teams are willing to risk offering him more than a one-year deal, because had Sizemore been a free agent a few years ago $100 million offers would’ve piled up.
Carmona failed to build on a strong 2010, going 7-15 with a 5.25 ERA in 32 starts, but the Indians aren’t ready to cut ties with the 28-year-old right-hander and he’d likely have had little trouble securing a multi-year deal on the open market.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights