Oct 31, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Fausto Carmona will stay with Cleveland in 2012 after the team exercised his $7 million option, but the Indians made Grady Sizemore a free agent by choosing a $500,000 buyout rather than pay him $8.5 million following another injury wrecked season.
Once upon a time Sizemore was one of the best young players in baseball and the Indians’ biggest long-term building block, but he hasn’t been productive since 2009 and hasn’t been healthy and productive since 2008.
During the past two seasons he’s missed 220 of a possible 324 games while hitting just .220 with a .659 OPS and knee injuries cast some doubt on his ability to be an asset in center field at age 29. I’ll be interesting to see if any teams are willing to risk offering him more than a one-year deal, because had Sizemore been a free agent a few years ago $100 million offers would’ve piled up.
Carmona failed to build on a strong 2010, going 7-15 with a 5.25 ERA in 32 starts, but the Indians aren’t ready to cut ties with the 28-year-old right-hander and he’d likely have had little trouble securing a multi-year deal on the open market.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)