Oct 31, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
Dan Wheeler can be added to the list of free agent relievers, as the Red Sox declined their $3 million option on the 33-year-old right-hander.
Wheeler had a decent season as low-leverage bullpen arm in Boston, throwing 49 innings with a 4.38 ERA and 39/8 K/BB ratio. He has trouble keeping the ball in the ballpark and struggles versus left-handed pitching, but as a middle reliever spotted mostly versus righties he’s a nice role player.
He earned $3 million this season after signing with the Red Sox as a free agent following three-and-a-half years with the Rays.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 36
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)