Oct 31, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
Dan Wheeler can be added to the list of free agent relievers, as the Red Sox declined their $3 million option on the 33-year-old right-hander.
Wheeler had a decent season as low-leverage bullpen arm in Boston, throwing 49 innings with a 4.38 ERA and 39/8 K/BB ratio. He has trouble keeping the ball in the ballpark and struggles versus left-handed pitching, but as a middle reliever spotted mostly versus righties he’s a nice role player.
He earned $3 million this season after signing with the Red Sox as a free agent following three-and-a-half years with the Rays.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)