Oct 31, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, new Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said today that he hopes to have a new manager in place by Thanksgiving.
The Red Sox began the interview process today by welcoming Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin to Fenway Park. Mackanin, 60, has only served in an interim manager capacity with the Reds and Pirates, but told reporters following today’s interview that he is ready for the challenge of an official gig.
“I want the job because it’s something I’ve wanted for a while,” Mackanin said. “Coming up through the minor leagues, having played in the big leagues, it’s the top of the industry. It’s a premiere franchise. The way I look at it is, who wouldn’t want to manage the Boston Red Sox?”
Cherington expects to meet with “five or six” candidates before making a decision. Brewers hitting coach and former Red Sox third base coach Dale Sveum, the only other confirmed candidate, is scheduled to interview on Wednesday.
Interestingly, Cherington also acknowledged that certain members of Terry Francona’s staff, presumably DeMarlo Hale or Tim Bogar, haven’t necessarily been ruled out for the job.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)