Oct 31, 2011, 8:42 PM EST
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, new Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said today that he hopes to have a new manager in place by Thanksgiving.
The Red Sox began the interview process today by welcoming Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin to Fenway Park. Mackanin, 60, has only served in an interim manager capacity with the Reds and Pirates, but told reporters following today’s interview that he is ready for the challenge of an official gig.
“I want the job because it’s something I’ve wanted for a while,” Mackanin said. “Coming up through the minor leagues, having played in the big leagues, it’s the top of the industry. It’s a premiere franchise. The way I look at it is, who wouldn’t want to manage the Boston Red Sox?”
Cherington expects to meet with “five or six” candidates before making a decision. Brewers hitting coach and former Red Sox third base coach Dale Sveum, the only other confirmed candidate, is scheduled to interview on Wednesday.
Interestingly, Cherington also acknowledged that certain members of Terry Francona’s staff, presumably DeMarlo Hale or Tim Bogar, haven’t necessarily been ruled out for the job.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (119)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)