Oct 31, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
In a no-brainer move the Royals have exercised their $6 million option on closer Joakim Soria.
Soria had the worst overall numbers of his career and was briefly demoted from the closer role, but was his usual self from June 1 on with a 2.58 ERA and 41/7 K/BB ratio in 38 innings.
In addition to the $6 million option for 2012 that the Royals have picked up Soria’s contract also includes an $8 million option for 2013 and a $8.75 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2014. For an elite 27-year-old closer that’s a pretty favorable contract for the team.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)