Oct 31, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
In a no-brainer move the Royals have exercised their $6 million option on closer Joakim Soria.
Soria had the worst overall numbers of his career and was briefly demoted from the closer role, but was his usual self from June 1 on with a 2.58 ERA and 41/7 K/BB ratio in 38 innings.
In addition to the $6 million option for 2012 that the Royals have picked up Soria’s contract also includes an $8 million option for 2013 and a $8.75 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2014. For an elite 27-year-old closer that’s a pretty favorable contract for the team.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)