Oct 31, 2011, 5:40 PM EST
In a no-brainer move the Royals have exercised their $6 million option on closer Joakim Soria.
Soria had the worst overall numbers of his career and was briefly demoted from the closer role, but was his usual self from June 1 on with a 2.58 ERA and 41/7 K/BB ratio in 38 innings.
In addition to the $6 million option for 2012 that the Royals have picked up Soria’s contract also includes an $8 million option for 2013 and a $8.75 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2014. For an elite 27-year-old closer that’s a pretty favorable contract for the team.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 9
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 45
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86