Oct 31, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
MLB Trade Rumors has been reverse-engineering the free agent ranking system all season, providing regular updates on Type A and Type B players, and now they’ve gotten their hands on the official rankings from Elias Sports Bureau.
No big surprises, although as usual there are some head-scratchers.
I wrote last offseason about how the compensation system always overrates relievers and sure enough guys like Darren Oliver, Matt Capps, and Octavio Dotel qualify as Type A while vastly superior players like Aramis Ramirez and Mark Buehrle are Type B.
CC Sabathia and Albert Pujols lead a total of 25 players qualified for Type A status, which means if their old teams offers them arbitration and the players decline any team signing them would have to forfeit next year’s first-round pick (or second-round pick, if their first-rounder is among the top 15 selections).
Type B free agents can be signed without losing a draft pick, but will fetch a supplemental first-rounder for their old team (assuming arbitration is offered and declined first).
To see the whole list, check out MLB Trade Rumors.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)