Oct 31, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
MLB Trade Rumors has been reverse-engineering the free agent ranking system all season, providing regular updates on Type A and Type B players, and now they’ve gotten their hands on the official rankings from Elias Sports Bureau.
No big surprises, although as usual there are some head-scratchers.
I wrote last offseason about how the compensation system always overrates relievers and sure enough guys like Darren Oliver, Matt Capps, and Octavio Dotel qualify as Type A while vastly superior players like Aramis Ramirez and Mark Buehrle are Type B.
CC Sabathia and Albert Pujols lead a total of 25 players qualified for Type A status, which means if their old teams offers them arbitration and the players decline any team signing them would have to forfeit next year’s first-round pick (or second-round pick, if their first-rounder is among the top 15 selections).
Type B free agents can be signed without losing a draft pick, but will fetch a supplemental first-rounder for their old team (assuming arbitration is offered and declined first).
To see the whole list, check out MLB Trade Rumors.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 3
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 16
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)