Oct 31, 2011, 9:13 AM EST
Last week Chris Jaffe rated the top postseason series of all time. It proved to be a pretty spiffy and pretty popular post. Today Chris has an update to that, using the same methodology, but attempting to figure out which postseason as a whole was the best of the wild card era.
2011 ranks fifth. At first blush that seems kind of nuts — this was fantastic, right? — but we should all be careful of not falling prey to “the thing that just happened is the BEST OF THOSE THINGS TO EVER HAPPEN” thinking. Fancy pants scientist types chalk up that thinking to something called the serial position effect — recency effect to be specific — but you know what we do with fancy pants scientists types around here.
Good reading even if you don’t agree with the rankings.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)