Oct 31, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Last week Chris Jaffe rated the top postseason series of all time. It proved to be a pretty spiffy and pretty popular post. Today Chris has an update to that, using the same methodology, but attempting to figure out which postseason as a whole was the best of the wild card era.
2011 ranks fifth. At first blush that seems kind of nuts — this was fantastic, right? — but we should all be careful of not falling prey to “the thing that just happened is the BEST OF THOSE THINGS TO EVER HAPPEN” thinking. Fancy pants scientist types chalk up that thinking to something called the serial position effect — recency effect to be specific — but you know what we do with fancy pants scientists types around here.
Good reading even if you don’t agree with the rankings.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (101)