Oct 31, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Last week Chris Jaffe rated the top postseason series of all time. It proved to be a pretty spiffy and pretty popular post. Today Chris has an update to that, using the same methodology, but attempting to figure out which postseason as a whole was the best of the wild card era.
2011 ranks fifth. At first blush that seems kind of nuts — this was fantastic, right? — but we should all be careful of not falling prey to “the thing that just happened is the BEST OF THOSE THINGS TO EVER HAPPEN” thinking. Fancy pants scientist types chalk up that thinking to something called the serial position effect — recency effect to be specific — but you know what we do with fancy pants scientists types around here.
Good reading even if you don’t agree with the rankings.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)