Was this the greatest postseason of the wild card era?

Oct 31, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT

2011 World Series Game 7 - Texas Rangers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Last week Chris Jaffe rated the top postseason series of all time. It proved to be a pretty spiffy and pretty popular post.  Today Chris has an update to that, using the same methodology, but attempting to figure out which postseason as a whole was the best of the wild card era.

2011 ranks fifth.  At first blush that seems kind of nuts — this was fantastic, right? — but we should all be careful of not falling prey to “the thing that just happened is the BEST OF THOSE THINGS TO EVER HAPPEN” thinking. Fancy pants scientist types chalk up that thinking to something called the serial position effect — recency effect to be specific — but you know what we do with fancy pants scientists types around here.

Good reading even if you don’t agree with the rankings.

1. phukyouk - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:27 AM

No idea but this was probably one of the 3 greatest comeback in baseball history. I don’t know what the other 2 are but if i said greatest EVER i would have been blasted.

2. mrfloydpink - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:35 AM

For the title of “greatest postseason ever,” it is an 81-way tie between all of the postseasons in which the Yankees did not win the World Series.

3. Jonny 5 - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:46 AM

It seemed fated, almost. Didn’t it? From the craziness of the Cards getting into the playoffs in the first place, to the nuttiness of the NLDS, the lackluster NLCS, to the rain out which allowed Carp to pitch on 3 days rest in game 7. Almost as if it was a predetermined sequence of events….

(I accidentally posted this on another thread already)

• professorperry - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Let us read from Chronicles:

The Spirit of prophecy came upon a Levite in the midst of the congregation. The Spirit, like the wind, blows where and on whom He listeth. He encouraged them to trust in God. Let the Christian soldier go out against his spiritual enemies, and the God of peace will make him more than a conqueror. Our trials will prove our gain. The advantage will be all our own, but the whole glory must be given to God. (2Ch 20:20-30)

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Let us read from McCarthy:

The judge placed his hands on the ground. This is my claim, he said. And yet everywhere upon it are pockets of autonomous life. Autonomous. In order for it to be mine nothing must be permitted to occur upon it save by my dispensation….The man who believes that the secrets of the world are forever hidden lives in mystery and fear. Superstition will drag him down. The rain will erode the deeds of his life. But that man who sets himself the task of singling out the thread of order from the tapestry will by the decision alone have taken charge of the world and it is only by such taking charge that he will effect a way to dictate the terms of his own fate….The freedom of birds is an insult to me. I’d have them all in zoos.

Judge Holden, Blood Meridian, 1st Ed., 199.

4. 3kittymama - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I am not a National Leage fan as a general rule, simply because I live in an American League city, but have come to appreciate NL teams in the World Series from time to time. That said, I am still not a Cardinals fan, but I have to give them a lot of credit for gutsy play and their never-give-up attitude during Game 6. I really didn’t care who won, but was rooting for Texas, since they’re an AL team. The first time the Cardinals were one strike away from losing, I nearly turned the TV off and went to bed. I’m glad I didn’t. That game was one of the most exciting games I have ever watched, from either league. Ever. That sort of jaw-dropping, rollercoaster game is what I watch baseball to hopefully see. Pitchers’ duels bore me spitless. Some may say that I’m not a baseball purist because of that, and that’s OK. We all have our baseball preferences. Congratulations, Cards, you earned the title of World Champions!

5. cur68 - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:31 AM

It was a good series. Very good, in fact. Enjoyed it immensely. In honor of it, I shall go and have a McCrib over at Scrawny Ronny’s today. For some reason a pressed pork sandwich and the baseball post season seem to go together for me this year. I shall also be exploring the possibilities of a neck tat…maybe a couple of musical notes…or maybe an obscure and jagged looking symbol, haven’t decided yet…I need to ind the right sort of girl to ask about that one…

Ranked 5th all time did it? Meh. Whatever. We all know that the best was, of course, 1993.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:24 PM

We do??

• cur68 - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Yes we do. What do think of the neck tats?

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Neck tats and neck beards are never a good idea.

6. azvikefan - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM

2001, no question.

7. Old Gator - Oct 31, 2011 at 3:11 PM

This postseason was downgraded by some very dull and lopsided divisional and league series. The tail end of the regular season was spectacular but doesn’t figger in in this calculation. The World Series was remarkable through six but ended in one of those clunker games with one team falling asleep at the plate and imploding on the mound, a one-sider that was ecstatic only for the Cardinals fans. Ergo, the markdown.

To invoke an über-cliche of the immortal Stan Lee, Thus has it ever been, thus shall it ever be.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3806)