Yankees, CC Sabathia agree to contract extension

Oct 31, 2011, 7:29 PM EDT

sabathia reuters Reuters

Well, here’s a surprise.

CC Sabathia just announced that he has agreed to a contract extension with the Yankees.

Most expected Sabathia would opt out of the remaining four years and $92 million on his contract and test free agency, but both sides worked hard to hammer out a new deal before tonight’s deadline.

As Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports, this essentially is a one-year contract extension. Sabathia will earn $25 million in 2016 while Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the contract includes a $25 million vesting option for 2017 or a $5 million buyout. The 31-year-old left-hander is now guaranteed $122 million over the next five years, or $24.4 million per year, which tops Cliff Lee ($24 million) for the highest average annual value for a pitcher.

UPDATE: Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the option for 2017 automatically vests unless Sabathia ends the 2016 season on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, spends more than 45 days on the disabled list in 2016 due to a shoulder injury or makes at least six relief appearances in 2016 due to shoulder issues.

UPDATE II: The Yankees are currently holding a conference call and have sent out a press release. This baby is official.

1. halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I thought he would be resigned by the Yankees. They certainty didn’t play around. I will be curious to see how much more he will be getting per year. My guess is he will now be making in the neighborhood of 25 million per year.

• Ari Collins - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I thought so too, but didn’t think he would resign before listening to other teams’ offers. Interesting!

Can’t wait to hear the particulars.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Agreed. But, in all seriousness, if this contract is not only higher in terms of annual dollars and more years, his weight needs to be addressed somehow. If I were a Yankees fan, this would be troubling. I know it seems I’m harping on it, but when you give this type of money to a pitcher (and I know Sabathia is great), he can’t pitch with the same effectiveness in his 30′s-mid-30s with that type of weight on him.

• phukyouk - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:44 PM

It hurts but i agree with Ceps… there really should be a clause in the contract that if he doesnt lose X lbs or if he gains Y then there are penalties

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Not disagreeing, per se, with you HB, but we honestly don’t know. Think of it this way, these guys are already the 1% of the population with physical gifts far beyond most of us. So we can’t look at them as if they were like us (where lots of weight in the mid 30s could be death to any athletic endeavor).

Does he need to lose 10-20 lbs, probably. But so far he hasn’t had any healthy issues. Also, if the Yanks get 5 more great years out of CC like they have the last three, the final 6th year is just gravy.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Thank You, phukyouk. I appreciate your comment. :)

• bigharold - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:38 PM

” If I were a Yankees fan, this would be troubling. I know it seems I’m harping on it, but when you give this type of money to a pitcher (and I know Sabathia is great), he can’t pitch with the same effectiveness in his 30′s-mid-30s with that type of weight on him.”

Well then fortunately you aren’t a Yankee fan.

I was pretty much convinced that the starting point was 6yrs/150 mil and even against that I’m, 10-15 mil off. Curious.

Baring some unannounced disclosure and assuming this report is accurate I would have to chalk it up to; i guess he really wanted to stay in NY and he’s a man of his word.

Good for him because if I’m in his position I’m at least listening to other offers.

• pjmarn6 - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM

You people bitch and moan what team owners make and yet you clap your hands and ooooh and ahhhhhh when a player makes this ridiculous sum of money. In one season he will make 625 times what a school teacher makes and 300 times what your airplane pilot makes.
      And all because nature allowed him a tiny better eye-muscle coordination. Well you shouldn’t complain what a company executive makes managing a billion dollar company and hiring a few thousand workers.
      Boeing CEO James McNerney oversees 187,000 employees and earns $14,000,000 a bit more than half of what Sabathia will earn. Am I the only one to see how screwed up professional sports is?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I am pro-company. I have worked for large companies for years and appreciate the home they gave me, the car that I drive and the food that is on my table every night.

I will tell you that when it come to player salaries, I agree. They make too much money. The owners should have the majority of this money and the players should be paid well but not to this degree. The owners should make the vast majority of the money because they are the ones that invested large sums of money to buy the franchise, etc. Players are just workers. Nothing more.

• bigharold - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:48 PM

That might well be true but the real question is does McNerney have a mid 90s fastball with a killer slider? I’d bet not.

If you want to debate social justice you are in the wrong place. Oh and by he way, .. if this is report is correct then Sabathia did the right thing despite your vulgar reference and railings against his opting out. So go pee on somebody else’s parade and stop with all the workingman hero crap.

• bigharold - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM

“I will tell you that when it come to player salaries, I agree. They make too much money.”

What Horseshit. Players make what owners are willing to pay them, … it’s called supply and demand, .. or market value.

“The owners should have the majority of this money and the players should be paid well but not to this degree.”

“Then, maybe a regular joe can go to a baseball game with his family with a MLB ticket price of a modicum 10 bucks, instead of $35 to $100 per ticket that these bastards charge.”

That is delusional, on a profound scale. Players salaries have far less to do with the current pricing structure in MLB than supply and demand.

“So, I blame the owners for giving these players this type of coin and passing it along to the fans. Period.”

Which is indicative of your gross lack of understanding regarding baseball today.

• mianfr - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

What you have to realize is that there is always a gigantic premium on talent, no matter what that talent is.

The Boeing CEO is a good CEO, I’m sure, but he’s not irreplaceable. He’s not the best CEO out there. He’s just in charge of a big company, which certainly puts him in the top top of people, but his MLB comp is probably someone like Matt Holliday, who makes a shade over $17M per year.

When you factor in all of the stock options and other things that don’t appear in his salary, Matt Holliday comes out as something of a bargain.

Just remember the premium on talent and you will have a justification for virtually every financial injustice you can think of.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:58 PM

bigharold,

It might be indicative of my understanding of baseball today, but I’m right. I’m the type of guy that believes that the prices to go to these games, ticket wise, parking wise, and concession wise is fucking out of hand for a lot of people. You want me to agree with you that these players are morally obligated to make 120 million dollar contracts because the owners are paying them because of supply and demand in the marketplace? You’re out of you mind.

“Nobody ever paid a cent to watch an owner do a friggen thing. Without the talent there is no professional sports.”

Without the owners, there would be no professional sports. Period. Players come and go, but the owners are always there. Because of this inflated salary bullshit on what the owners pay the players, the game has become unaffordable for many families.

• bigharold - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM

“…that the prices to go to these games, ticket wise, parking wise, and concession wise is fucking out of hand for a lot of people.”

I am 100% in agreement with you about prices but that has little or nothing to do with player’s salaries. They are a VERY small percentage of the overall equation. If Sabathia had not gotten a better contract it changes NOTHING.

The overall number of people interested in baseball tickets at a given venue has more to do with tickets prices than anything else. Hell, At Yankee Stadium the Yankees have absolutely NOTHING to do with parking, they’re bid out to vendors because NYC owns the parking rights, but the parking fees have DOUBLED since 2008. Beer, has only gone up about 12%. The point is that it’s a question of supply and demand. The only way that changes if the demand dries up.

“You want me to agree with you that these players are morally obligated to make 120 million dollar contracts because the owners are paying them because of supply and demand in the marketplace?”

I want you to acknowledge that it’s the reality whether you agree with it or not. Only because that’s the case. I’ve less of a problem with a player holding out for what he thinks is fair than a team putting the screws to him. The fans have yet to see the benefit to them. Players have a much smaller widow of opportunity for such things.

“Without the owners, there would be no professional sports.”

Like I said; nobody EVER paid nickel to see an owner to do ANYTHING, .. ever! I’d bet you’ve never done it either. I understand that sports requires entrepreneurs to organize things but after that they should never e seen again.

“Because of this inflated salary bullshit on what the owners pay the players, the game has become unaffordable for many families.”

That’s false. It is absolutely not because of salaries. They are merely a small part of the equation but they are also the most visible.

“Like I said, I might be out of touch, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have to have a conscious.”

You are missing the point. Players are certainly not the demons here. One could argue that the entire system needs fixing. My point is, that players are the least of the components out of whack and they shouldn’t be made he scapegoat.

I would love to go back to he Stadium and not have to drop $250.00 in gas, tolls, parking and concessions, .. never mind the $450. my daughter laid out for tickets for one game. But of all the ill’s of MLB, .. players salary s not a big issue.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM

bigharold,

Since you seem to be an expert on the matter and say that players escalating salaries affect nothing to do with what fans pay for, give me the breakdown.

My guess is that when you have players like A-Rod making a quarter of a billion dollars and others who are making a hundred million, they are only, according to you “That’s false. It is absolutely not because of salaries. They are merely a small part of the equation”

When you have athletes that are making a quarter of a billion dollars, you can’t dismiss that. Someone has to pay for that salary. And that’s the fans.

• bigharold - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:01 AM

“When you have athletes that are making a quarter of a billion dollars,…”

What player makes a $250,000,000 per year? Who is making that? Nobody that’s who. A-Rod and Sabathia make about 25 mil each, .. a fraction of a quarter of a billion dollars. Stop comparing apples to oranges. TALK facts!

You know how does make A LOT MORE than a quarter of a billion dollars a year? The NY Yankees that who;

Players salaries are not driving prices higher, .. it demand. It may not reconciles with our preconceived notions but it’s true nonetheless!

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:24 AM

bigharold,

You are so fucking dumb. When did I say any player made a quarter of a billion dollars a year? I specifically stated “When you have athletes that are making a quarter of a billion dollars”, asshole. Do you fucking understand English? I mean a contract, not yearly earnings. Do you understand that? Do you have the fucking brain matter to comprehend what I said?

I’m talking facts, asshole. The facts are that these players are being overpaid by owners that don’t give a shit other than about what they make as profit, which I understand. But, giving these players 1/4 OF A BILLION DOLLAR CONTRACTS, they need to make up their lost revenue elsewhere. And that’s at the gate. Charging you and me.

• bigharold - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:49 AM

“bigharold, You are so fucking dumb.”

I must be because I thought I could discuss baseball with you despite the fact that you’re clearly a low grade moron.

I’ve seen your asinine post one after another, about this topic as well as others, and yet still thought I could engage in a semi intelligent discourse. You are the embodiment of that old saying;

“Never argue with an idiot, .. people passing by might not be able to tell the difference.”

Clearly you are both unwilling AND incapable of intelligent discourse, perhaps it’s time for your care givers to rescind your Internet privileges. I’ve long suspected that you post the things that you do not so much to make a point but to get a rise out of others for the attention. Sad.

Regardless, I will accord the the treatment you deserve going forward, .. as in you will be neither taken seriously or even noted because you Sir are obviously a fool. And, a self centered needy one at that.

Have a nice life Jackass!

• pjmarn6 - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:34 AM

bigharold, what he was referring to was the Texas Ranger’s first contract with Alex Rodriquez when he signed for 10 years at $25 million per year or $250,000,000 or a quarter of a billion dollars. I believe it was catfish hunter that broke the owner’s hold on salaries and Steinbrenner who bought the yankees to make them winners and bought up all the talent at ridiculous prices. Players last year were payed over $2 .4 Billion dollars. Yankee payroll in 1953 $438,250. Payroll in 2011 203,000,000. The payroll increased 461 times Why? The quality of the players didn’t increase 461 times. Look at comparison sugar was 8.5 cents a pound in 1953 and 32 cents a pound in 2011 an increase of 4 times. The chevy impala in 1953 2,600 and 28,000 in 2011 increased 11 times. (used top of line Bel Air for comparison price) So why does baseball salaries increase 461 times? Okay all you apologists line up and tell me. You are the ones yelling and screaming at how much the captains of industry are making obscene salaries. Lets get some of you economic geniuses to explain why their salaries increased 461 times while sugar increased only 4 times and car prices increased 11 times! Hell in 1957 a round trip ticket to Miami on Eastern Airlines cost $100.00 And today the ticket is $225.00 only 2.25 times as much. Not gasoline increased in Florida from .17 cents a gallon to $3.50 that is 20 times more expensive. But baseball player salaries increased 461 times. Now explain why?

• pjmarn6 - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:40 AM

It sounds to me like you “baseball fans” like to be taken! Jesus that whooshing sound is your common sense going down the drain. They don’t get a penny off of me. But you “baseball fans” line up to be taken to the cleaners and bend over and yell MORE! MORE PLEASE!

• phillyphreak - Nov 1, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Sounds like pj needs to get laid….

• 1historian - Nov 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM

He makes a ridiculous sum of money because the owner knows that the fans (aka suckers) will pay an equally ridiculous sum of money to see him.

• Ari Collins - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM

You guys need to read some books on labor, economics, supply, and demand. Or just google “baseball salary ticket prices”.

• florida727 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

“pjmarn”, congratulations. You’re the only one on here that knows how to create an irrefutable argument. 461 times?!?! Unbelievable. I knew the increase was obscene, but when put in the context you put it, it shows how idiotic “fans” have to be to allow that to happen. And unfortunately, you’re wrong about one thing: they DO get some of it from you (and me). The price you and I pay for ANY product advertised during their TV broadcast has to be factored in. You don’t think all that beer advertising is free do you? :) If you drink beer, and it’s the brand advertised during a baseball game, you’re paying for it.

“bigharold”, sorry, but “halladay…” is right. You’re freaking clueless about business economics. Go take the remedial course, then come back on here and post. Players are nothing more than “employees”. They take ZERO risk as it pertains to running the business of baseball, yet they make obscene amounts of money… some of them for “working” one day out of every five (see: Sabathia, CC). Why do you think the NBA players are still locked out? NO LEVERAGE. Watch them cave in soon. When the paychecks stop coming, they’ll come to their senses too. The question is: when will YOU?

• pjmarn6 - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM

phillyphreak sorry but you have been laid up down and sideways by professional sports. You gladly pay to listen, watch and go to the games obscene sums and then cry your pay check doesn’t go as far and you buy hamburger instead of steak. I was a great yankee fan and watched them free on wpix and heard them free on the radio. Have you tried to listen to them free on the radio. Sh*t it is non stop commercials. You probably never hear Red Barber, Phil Rizzuto and the other great yankee announcers. They made it sound like you were at the stadium. When I was young, had no male relatives to take me to the stadium and went once with the YMCA and it was $1.00. .75 cents for the ticket (crappy seats) but what does a young kid know and .25 cents for the bus ride. And the yankees lost that day.
        You know that the yankee sell $2500 tickets for seat?!?!?!? And they sell $10 hotdogs? Mickey Mantle made $100,000 and the press and fans that was the end of baseball. But as P.T. Barnum said there is a sucker born every minute and the U.S. is filled with them.
        And I don’t watch the yankees or listen to that ridiculous radio station. I am immune to commercials anyhow. I automatically tune them out. Remember you pay extra for a product for how much they advertise. Coke costs twice the generic for the advertisement.
        A good player should get a “DECENT” star salary but paying a run of the mill utility player 2-5 million dollars per year to warm the bench and hit .250, a hell of a lot of people have their heads where the sun don’t shine! Hell if a player gets 3 million he has been up in the majors 3-4-5 years and has about 6-7 million in the bank after taxes and if has any sense at all. I can take that money and get him 10% in dividends which are taxed at 15% and that means he has spendable after tax income of over $500,000 per year. And the baseball player hasn’t reached 30 years old yet. Now how many of you are earning $500,000 sitting on your ass and not yet 30?
        And you all line up bend over and say, more, more, more, I want more!

2. Ari Collins - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Sounds like he left some money on the table. I think he could have done better than $122M guaranteed had he hit the open market.

• paperlions - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Okay. Who would have paid more?

• bigharold - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:53 PM

The Rangers might well have pad more and forgone Wilson. They offered more for Lee last year. The Phillies just decided to decline Oswalt so they might well be a suitor.

Not to mention the Cubs, RS, Angels or even the Jays.

• paperlions - Nov 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I seriously doubt most of those teams would have bothered.

The Yankees far outbid everyone for Sabathia the first time….now, he’s 3 yrs older, fatter, and getting 2 years tacked onto to his contract and raising the average anual value of that contract….so the Yankees are paying more than even they offered before.

The Phillies have much bigger needs than starting pitching. Though they are one of the few remaining organizations that will commit so much money to long-term deals that don’t end until guys are 37+…right now, this isn’t a position of need for them.

The Cubs have to build a system, and are no where close to being competitive, you don’t do that by over-paying for old guys in that situation.

The Angels can’t afford this kind of move; they’ve already announced what their 2012 payroll will be, they have about $20M to fill 10 roster spots.

The Jays have made moves to get younger/better, this kind of FA would go against their current philosophy.

The Rangers already said that they are not interested in CC. The Rangers also have a LOADED minor league system and a potential #1 starter being used as a closer.

Anyone else?

• Kyle - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Surprised he didn’t at least see what was out there. Think the Yanks did well to lock this down so early, just to be on the safe side. Might have saved some money in the case of another desperate team bidding them up.

3. thehypercritic - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM

What evidence leads you to believe his weight will be a problem moving forward? Health is to some degree a skill and he’s been about as healthy as they come, and their is plenty of anecdotal evidence that weight may matter (David Wells for one).

• thehypercritic - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Wow. Typos AND posted in the wrong spot. Perhaps I shouldn’t have commented from my car.

• yankeesgameday - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:56 PM

The evidence was seen for the first time this year: cc was hit hard during the final six weeks if the season and was a fighter, but not the dominant ace the Yanks needed in the playoffs.

Cc, the guy who is the rock of the staff for six months can do that with an extra 20 lbs, but the added weight is probably a big reason why he faded for the first time in his career and that is something to become more pronounced the older he gets.

For the Yanks getting there isn’t good enough: winning it all is all that counts and cc could be the reason they do or don’t win championships; he Is that great and that important.

• phukyouk - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I agree in that the final 6 weeks he was a number 2 starter but i also wonder if he was playing with an injury. I think that the weight was a factor but not enough to produce the final six weeks that he had

• lazlosother - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I think what hurt him late in the season was the 6 man rotation. CC isn’t as sharp with extra days off.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:57 PM

First off, please understand that I am not taking a shot at Sabathia. He’s a great pitcher.

What evidence do I have? Well, from a weight perspective, I do know this. A pitchers weight adds more stress on his legs, where a lot of power comes from. The legs generate a lot of the pitcher’s power, so to speak. Well, if his legs are overtaxed due to his weight, he may compensate by throwing more with his shoulder, which can lead to shoulder problems, which are never good for a pitcher.

David Wells was an exception. But, most pitchers do not pitch well being overweight as they get older. See Sid Fernandez as an example. He would have been twice the pitcher he was if not for being overweight. And he was pretty good.

• kinggw - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Im calling shenanigans. You make an argument that weight hinders pitchers yet you only cite one pitcher to prove your point. Sabathia could stand to lose a few, but his weight hasnt affected his health and it hasnt affected his performance.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:59 PM

their[SIC] is plenty of anecdotal evidence that weight may matter (David Wells for one).

David Wells
      Year – Age – IP

1993 30 187
      1994 31 111.1
      1995 32 203
      1996 33 224.1
      1997 34 218
      1998 35 214.1
      1999 36 231.2
      2000 37 229.2
      2001 38 100.2
      2002 39 206.1
      2003 40 213

So one year from age 30 to age 40 he didn’t make at least 29 starts in a season. Again, perception doesn’t always equal reality.

• thehypercritic - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Should have been more specific in my earlier addendum.

Meant to have suggested large pitchers may NOT age poorly, then offered Wells as a singular example.

I feel as though Keith Law recently cited a study that held portly pitchers were the second likeliest hurler body type to endure.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM

As I mentioned above in response to HB, there just isn’t a large enough [teehee] sample size of pitchers with Sabathia’s ability and girth to draw any meaningful conclusions. It seems like we get just as many people arguing* that the weight helps him with all the pitches (durability) as those who argue it hurts him

*and like all the others, its always ex post facto arguing.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Church,

Happy Halloween, by the way. In regards to your sample size dilemma, respectfully, does everything you deal in have to involve statistical data? We are talking about weight size and medical concerns for Sabathia. You certainly can’t quantify medical issues, such as weight. You have to look at what the general concerns are.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM

You have to look at what the general concerns are.

Happy Halloween to you too sir

The problem is that I think far too many people are looking at normal human beings and trying to project their issues on these guys. [yes I know anecdote isn't the plural of data, just using this as an example]

I played soccer for 20+ years. When I graduated HS, I was running 5-6 miles a day training to play in college. I was probably, in my case, in peak physical condition. I had a few friends who were doing the same thing. Two of them died from heart related illnesses. The shock wasn’t that two people in their early 20s died from heart problems, it was two people who were athletes for the last 10+ years who died from heart problems.

Profession athletes are so different from you or I. I was utterly shocked to read that David Wells was one of the best athletes of the “Yankees Dynasty” [per people quoted in Olney's book]. You just look at the weight and think they are out of shape. Look at the NFL. Guys 300 lbs running 4.7 40 yard dash times. That’s like a 12 sec 100meter dash time. At 300 lbs!

Is the weight an issue, possibly. But I don’t see it as an elbow/shoulder issue that’s been mentioned in his contract. He’s never had back problems, and the knee issues were rumors (could be true, could not be), we just don’t know. However, I’m far more confident giving him the years now than say 3-4 years down the road. If he gets hurt in year 7 but gives the Yanks six great years, they can afford to drop him as a sunk cost.

• JBerardi - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:42 PM

It’s not just anecdotal; actual research shows that larger pitchers age better than smaller ones. Although CC is so unique physically I’m not sure any study really applies to him.

4. uyf1950 - Oct 31, 2011 at 7:58 PM

It’s a win, win. Great news if you’re a Yankees fan. Now Cashman can concentrate on “other” things. That’s the opinion of this Yankees fan.

Basically it looks like almost the identical deal Lee signed with Phillies and CC’s a year younger now than Lee was.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:05 PM

And you know what’s so funny? No offense to Sabathia and Lee, but Halladay makes 20 million/year and he’s better than both of them.

• uyf1950 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:11 PM

No argument here. Your right.

• ftbramwell - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

But obviously wasn’t smart enough to negotiate an opt out clause!
        :-)

• phukyouk - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:30 PM

without question he is.. but hes only got, what, 2 more yrs on his contract? and he’ll be in his low 30′s when that happens, right? assuming he is healthy he will have no problem getting a new monster contract when he hits FA.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:47 PM

phukyouk,

Roy Halladay is 34 years old. He will be 36 when his 4 year deal is done with the Phillies. My guess is he remains a Phillie for the remainder of his career. Even Roy Halladay at 36 won’t command a Sabathia/Lee deal. He will still get paid good at 36 because he is Roy Halladay and keeps himself in unbelievable shape, but not monster contract-wise.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Wow. Sabathia fleeced the Yanks for that much money for his age 37 season. Good for him. I was hoping he went the free agent route though to see who else got into tje mix for his services.

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Come on thumbs downers, this comment was awesome!

• basedrum777 - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Jealousy is an ugly thing…

6. halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Yankees fans, question. If the Phillies do not resign Roy Oswalt before FA and he hits the open market, would you like the Yankees to take a chance with him? If so, what do you think his years and dollars would be?

• lazlosother - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I think they would have to at least kick the tires. As for money, he can probably get 2-3 years at 10-12 million a year. Has he indicated how much longer he wants to play?

• henryd3rd - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Oswalt is a National League pitcher pure and simple. He would get crunched in the America League and he knows it. Now maybe the Mets would be interested in him?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I disagree with this statement. A good pitcher can pitch in either league. Why? Because he never pitched in the AL? I know a lot of pitchers that have switched from the NL to AL and have been great. See Curt Schilling and David Cone.

• bigharold - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

“I disagree with this statement. … See Curt Schilling and David Cone.”

See Javier Lopez too. The Yankee might take a run at CJ Wilson but the rotation looks like;

Sabathia
        Burnett
        Nova
        Hughes
        TBD

Aside from Garcia who might be back, there aren’t a lot of openings for SP with the Yankees. Oswalt doesn’t fit.

• marinersnate - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Sabathia
        Burnett
        Nova
        Hughes
        TBD

**********

• bigharold - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:17 AM

“What logic. Not a lot of openings at SP with the Yankees? Why heck no. Both Burnett and TBD must be studs.”

Burnett is going anywhere unless his arm falls off since the Yankees are paying him #2 money even though he’s performed like a #5 starter the last two years. As long as he can make starts he’s in the rotation.

The TBD might well be Garcia, .. or perhaps not. Until that’s settled I don’t think Wilson is a big part of the Yankees plans.

Add to that they’ve a number of minor league option that might step up next year and frankly Wilson could be off the Yankees radar.

Maybe they’re saving their money to sign Pujols.

• uyf1950 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:29 PM

This is just my personal opinion. He would not be my 1st choice. In order my choices now that CC is back in the fold would be.
      1) Yu Darvish at a reasonable price. For me that’s $70 to $90M combined posting fee and 5 year contract.
      2) Try and work a trade with the White Sox for Danks
      3) Buehrle on a 2 year deal $20 to $25M total
      Lastly, Oswalt …. on a 2 year deal at most $20 to $25M. Would prefer a 1 year guaranteed with the 2nd year vested. But I could live with 2 years if necessary at those dollars.

• phukyouk - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Honestly I do not want Oswalt for anything more than 1 yr at 8-10 mil. otherwise we can bring back Garcia for a yr at less money.

Side question to anyone that knows. If CC did opt out and the Yanks worked out a new Contract would they have lost a draft pick due to his Type A free agency or no because there is noone to give the pick to?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I believe they would have as they owed Toronto a pick when they signed AJ, after he opted out of his contract. [also in '07 the sox didn't have a first round pick possibly due to getting JD Drew from his opt out, but not sure]

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Yu Darvish really intrigues me. I know I will be killed for this (given our pitching strength), but I would like the Phillies as well explore him. I think he is the real deal and would only forgo Oswalt for him.

But, I agree with you, uyf1950. If I were the Yankees, I would go for this guy like the moon. Darvish’s stuff it just filthy. A great pitcher that will do well in the states. He’s no Dice-K. His stuff is much better.

As a Phillies fan, I know Darvish is a pipe dream. I want Oswalt back for 2 more years. He has unfinished business here.

• phukyouk - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:42 PM

church – my understanding is that the Pick goes to the team that lost the player. in this case its the same team so i wonder if they simply would have just not had a pick.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Darvish’s stuff it just filthy.

I’m always super nervous about Japanese pitchers. The regimen is completely different, they pitch only once a week (a la college) instead of every 5 days, the game is entirely different (remember Hideki Matsui was their version of Babe Ruth). Not say he’s going to fail, but people throwing out $100M worth of contract for Darvish seems a bit much.

Also, remember no one was close to the Sox’s posting fee for DiceK. A $30M posting fee + $40M contract is a lot easier on the eyes than $40Mpost/$60M contract.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:04 PM

@phukyouk

apologies as I must have misread the rest of the question. Yeah the Yanks wouldn’t lose the pick. Or for a laugh, you could say they would have lost the pick to the team that signed him, which is the Yanks.

However, CC technically didn’t opt out per riveraveblues.com So no free agency compensation was ever in play.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Depends on the years + money (which i guess is absurdly obvious). He’ll be 35 this year, and has generally been healthy until this ear. Very consistent peripherals, but the Yanks already have 4 starters (assuming Hughes is in the rotation next year) with a ton of money tied up. If he’s looking for more than the $12M he was supposed to get from his option, doubt they go with him

But a 2/22 contract, if their medical team thinks he’s ready, could be a good 3rd/4th starter (and far cheaper than Darvish and/or Wilson).

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Agreed. Do you agree with me that the Phillies are better with bringing Roy Oswalt back as supposed to going with a 1-year wonder like Vance Worley as a 4th starter? If you were Philly, would you bring Oswalt back, even if you have to overspend a little to do so?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:48 PM

The Phillies are in the best position because their medical staff has access to the injury records, which other teams aren’t going to get. If Oswalt gets a subpar deal and you find out the Phillies weren’t interested*, I’d be very nervous.

*Unless they pull off another ninja move and get someone like Hernandez or Johnson.

• yankeesgameday - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I want NOTHING to do with Oswalt. The Phils got his last ounce of greatness the year Houston traded him. I wrote and predicted he would be on a big downswing this past year and I think anything more than a one year deal for him now is fools money lost. Sure the Yanks could use a 4th or 5th starter but I do not like Oswalt on this team.

I live in California so I’d like to see McCourt sell the team tomorrow then the Dodgers eat up what is left of his arm for two years… But lord, keep him away from the yanks.

• yankeesgameday - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:59 PM

And please, for Christmas give me mark buerhle!!!!!

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:00 PM

LOL!!! Your disdain for Oswalt is apparent.

7. Ari Collins - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:28 PM

It’s not quite as team-friendly as I thought, since apparently the 6th year vests unless he has left shoulder problems. Given that even if he’s hurt, it’s likely to be something else, it’s most likely a 6 year deal worth $142M. Maybe left some money on the table, but maybe not.

The team might regret paying him $25M when he’s in his mid-to-late 30s, and they certainly regret the opt-out clause, but for the next several years they have a bonafide ace, which is probably worth overpaying or (especially if you’re the Yankees).

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I don’t think they regret the opt out clause because I don’t know that he signs with them without it. And he did help them win a World Series so basically it was money well spent in Yankee eyes.

• uyf1950 - Oct 31, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Ari, he will only be 36 midway through the last guaranteed year of the new contract (2016). If the contract vest and even assuming he’s not as “ace” any longer for the 2017 season but just an average to slightly above average pitcher he still would command $15M on the open market if not more (taking inflation into account 5 plus years down the road). Besides without any history of injury I’m sure the Yankees will have insurance to cover any possible mishaps, shall we say.

I don’t think there is any doubt he left some money on the table. How much is a matter of conjecture. I have no doubt he could have gotten 6 years/$150M guaranteed from someone if not the Yankees themselves.

I think he was pretty much was true to his word. He loves NY and loves pitching for the Yankees. I think all this contract shows is that he wanted the Yankees to show him the same love they showed Lee when trying to sign him. That’s just my opinion. I still thinks it’s a win, win.

8. halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I’ve noticed that I got 13 thumb down comments and no thumb ups for my logical comment on Sabathia’s weight being a concern in a long-term deal with that type of money. It reminds me of the backlash a few years ago nationally from the media when the Phillies extended Ryan Howard’s contract @ 5 years/125 million and said we overpaid for him. This was because he was a big man, had overweight tenancies, etc. So, when Phillies fans defended Howard’s signing, we were laughed at. But, now with a pitcher like Sabathia that weighs much more than Howard is signed for an equal contract that’s not even an everyday player, no one brings up the same issues. What’s wrong with this picture?

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I certainly think his weight could become an issue. He was just plain fat by the end of this season and nobosu’s body becomes more efficient at losing weight as they get older.

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM

And you can see my point with the Prince Fielder weight issue? Correct?

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I understand the argument dor sure. Princes weight hasnt really fluctuated the waySabathias has. But I understand if any team has concerns about it

• lazlosother - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Sabathia’s weight is a concern going forward, but…. Most people panned the Howard contract because he is already in decline. Sabathia is not. You are harping too much on the weight issue.

So far CC has been extremely durable. Much of his weight is in his ass and legs, not the worst place for a pitcher. His mechanics are excellent, and he fields his position well. The folks in the front office in NY know his health history better than anyone posting on these boards, and they felt they should make the deal.

As far as position, a pitcher repeats his mechanics, fields a small part of the diamond, has to cover first every so often, and works once every five days (for a starter). A position player is out there every day, and given the position the physical demands that would be hindered by weight far outweigh (pun intended) those of a pitcher.

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM

You should look at the photo of him above. There’s a lot of weight in his boiler also.

• JBerardi - Nov 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Sabathia can hit lefties better than Howard. So there’s that.

• loungefly74 - Nov 1, 2011 at 8:34 AM

i guess most people just don’t see his weight as a big issue…most importantly, the yankess did not either. and..that’s that.

9. cackalackyank - Oct 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Oswalt might be ok in the AL but not for the Yanks. If memory serves me one of the MOST outspoken players in the game when A-Rod came clean on the Steriod thing was Roy Oswalt. I think the days of having club house drama around the Yanks where you have team mates hating each other are not a nostalgia kick anyone wants to revist.

10. Brian Donohue - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Looks like CC needs to work out a little more. I have a suggestion:

OCCUPY, SHUT IT DOWN
    GET OFF YER ASS AND GO DOWNTOWN

#occupywallstNYC
    #occupyHalloween

11. cackalackyank - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

A couple thoughts about the “weighty” issue…. I am a large guy..had knee problems..it’s no fun…and never did anything like throw 100+pitches every five days plus practice. I find the particulars in the first update interesting. No mention of elbow inury or…his knees. Now there was discussion here about a balky knee changing the delivery and generating a shoulder problem, but am I to take this that if he screws up his elbow…the deal vests? It seems ther was a knee issue already. Do not get me wrong…very happy this is resolved….early…just concerned on the particulars.

Oh…and deliver us from Yu Darvish. Kei Igawa and Hideki Irabu should tell us everything we need to know.

• lazlosother - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Not all large guys have knee issues-look at linemen in the NFL. Some of them play for 15-20 years. Sabathia’s have been minor, nothing many “thin” players don’t experience. Remember, if these guys weren’t physical freaks they wouldn’t be in MLB to begin with. The shoulder enters in to the contract late. Not so much a weight issue as a normal issue with pitchers. The option doesn’t vest if there are considerable shoulder issues.

Yu Darvish is worth a look. The posting amount will likely be much lower than DiceK’s, and all indications are that Yu is a far superior pitcher. NY and many others have to at least check it out.

• cavredleg15 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Look up Mark Schlereth’s surgery history. Is there any mystery why his son chose baseball? C.C is fat. He is listed @ 6’7″ 290. Julius Pepper is listed @ 6’6″ 283. Do they in any way look the same?

12. Charles Gates - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:43 PM

A lot of people are saying, ‘I can’t believe he didn’t opt out to see what the market would offer him’ or something to that effect. Really? REALLY?

I believe his agent had plenty of back room, off the record conversations and already had a view of that market would bear, if unofficially. He’s not gonna get Pujols money, ie $30MM AAV, so his incremental gain is at ~$3MM or so…which I’m back of the envelope math-ing: $24MM currently, with a max AAV of $27MM, which is a stretch at that. Why risk a bird in hand when the bush only yields that same bird but with a few extra feathers?

13. youngyankee - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:58 PM

While I understand the concern regarding sabathia’s weight, I think its a bit unfair to him. He’s proven to be a work horse and is one of the most reliable pitchers on any staff. He’s been pretty much a 20 game winner and around 3ERA pitchin in one of the toughest divisions out there.

He’s been heavy his whole career and always has done better in 2nd halves, so what changed this year? Perhaps the 6man rotation. Shit perhaps the lack of cap’n crunch. The point is if it aint broke, don’t fix it.

Besides noone’s telling Lincecum to eat cheeseburgers and tack on 20 lbs nor does he have a weight gain clause, even though the kid prob could benefit from some weight.

• youngyankee - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:09 AM

and I think we have bigger problems than cc’s weight like how to teach a 1st baseman how to hit in April, may, and October. maybe use his awesome glove?

14. cavredleg15 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Quick someone count the pinstripes on his current uniform…. Check it after the extension ends. I’ve watched C.C. since his early days and his transformation as far as I can tell out paces Ruth. Too bad Sabathia never had a bat in his hands right?

15. lanpar - Nov 1, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Very simple:

#1. Don’t compare companies unless they are in the same industry.

#2. Realize everything is based on supply and demand.

#3. So you want prices to drop don’t watch the games anymore…not even on tv. If enough people do that…everything drops…simple. lol…that will never happen…
    so deal with it and be happy for these athletes….cause if i was blessed with their
    ability i would take as much as the market will give me.

16. 1historian - Nov 1, 2011 at 8:46 AM

halladay & harold:

get a room

PLEASE

17. uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Now that I have had overnight to to sleep on the news of CC’s resigning I would like to repeat this is great news.

The Yankees get to keep their ace and go about their business the rest of this free agency period without all of the drama that some of the other teams are facing. Quite a difference from last year’s free agency period.

I still look for the Yankees to sign another starting pitcher. The only question at least in my mind is who. I doubt CJ Wilson is in the cards. For 2 reasons, first the Yankees don’t need 2 left handed pitchers at the top of their rotation. Second, I think he will be asking for and receiving to much both in the dollars and years. Yu Darvish is a possibility (assuming he does get posted) if he can be had at a reasonable price. For me that’s $70 to $90M total combined posting fee and 5 or 6 year contract). More then that and I think the Yankees pass on him. After that I think the Yankees would prefer to sign a middle of the rotation lefty. Could be someone like Buehrle or possibly even trade for John Danks. There is also the possibility that’s even more remote but worth mentioning maybe a trade could be worked out with Oakland for Gio Gonzalez. I think it’s a slim chance but sometimes even slim chances have a way of working out. Or they could just forgo that and stay in house for the 2012 season and resign Garcia for 1 year or give Noesi a shot. Then see what FA’s are available at the end of 2012. Either way they have plenty of options. I really think the Yankees if they don’t sign Darvish would like to sign a pitcher short term say 2 years so they can give Banuelos a shot at the rotation in late 2012 or 2013.

Anyway this Yankees fan is very happy that the CC drama didn’t consume the Yankees and the baseball world this year. Now that task falls on Pujols and the Cardinals. Good luck.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4025)