Yep, this is the new Marlins cap

Oct 31, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT

Marlins cap

They denied it when it was first leaked a couple months ago and they continue to say that we have to wait until November 11th to know for sure, but yeah, this is the new Marlins cap logo.

We know this because the New Era store in Buffalo, New York is selling them. George Richards of the Miami Herald found one there and bought it. He has multiple pictures of it over at his Florida Panthers blog. The places you find things.  I suppose it’s possible they could be selling this as a deke and then release something else, but why?  Sure, bloggers like me will write about it, but it’s not like anyone is going to get more excited to buy one just because we’re talking about it.

My take: whatever. We’ll get used to it. I liked it better in white, but it won’t be the worst thing anyone ever wore. And it’s not like the Marlins have a century of tasteful and beloved history that they’re repudiating here. Keep trying stuff until something clicks.  Going all classic retro would make no sense for a team that has only been around since 1993.

1. bleedgreen - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Wow. That is awful.

2. 78mu - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:10 AM

They tried to get all the colors in the logo didn’t they? Pink must feel really bad for not getting picked.

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Shuttup. You’re Mister Pink.

• cur68 - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM

You got four guys all fighting over who’s gonna be Mr. Black, but they don’t know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You’re Mr. Pink. Be thankful you’re not Mr. Yellow.

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:52 PM

And you wanna bring Zambrano here? He’s a psycho. The psycho ain’t professional.

3. ogre2010 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM

UGLY!!

4. b7p19 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:45 AM

It’s actually starting to grow on me. The linked article mentions that the unis might be pretty awful as well. I hope they are. I want teal pants and orange jerseys. Something just totally beautifully hideous. Just own it Miami!

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:37 PM

In this climate, lots of things grow on you if you give them a chance. Most of them are fungal.

5. zoellner25 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I think they missed some greens, purples, and magentas in there too.

6. Jonny 5 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:47 AM

It seems to me that they just want to go as tacky as can be with everything from the Feesh tanks, the animatronic Feesh jumping when the ball goes over the fence, and even down to the uniforms… Hey, it’s Miami after all, what the heck.

• lyon810 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:53 AM

No, it’s Loria and Samson

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:38 PM

It’s classy, the way Slobbering Ozzie is classy. As in, lower classy.

7. 8man - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I was upset when the Red Sox took the scarlet lettering off of their road jerseys. But this is hideous! Major League baseball has no business being in Florida for anything more than spring training.

8. kiwicricket - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Like classic motor-vehicles and classy ex-girlfriends pants…they should of stuck with teal.

9. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:50 AM

It’s tacky, sure, but at least it’s different. Too many teams have similar-looking, boring uniforms these days.

• JBerardi - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM

“Too many places serve eggs for breakfast; this place serves arsenic and burning tires. At least it’s different”

• Jonny 5 - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:35 AM

LMAO!!!!! What you said /\

10. lyon810 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:54 AM

LOL to the cup of Timmy’s coffee in the background

11. snowbirdgothic - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Looks like they ripped it right off of someone’s corporate golf shirt.

12. JBerardi - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Just awful. It looks like some second-rate sneaker company trying to look cool… in 1992.

13. cur68 - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I can’t look at that thing…it’s putting me off my McCrib…

14. aceshigh11 - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:46 AM

It looks Flipper and Rainbow Brite…had an abortion.

(credit to the Dean of Comedy Central Roasts, Jeff Ross)

15. Jonny 5 - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:48 AM

BTW, What exactly is taking place with the shape of the baseball cap and the visor? It seems to me that the caps are changing and are more and more difficult to make them fit properly. They seem to be made bigger and bigger. The same size fitted hat is like a bucket on my head today, compared to the last one I bought back in 2006. I don’t really like how the brim is much wider, rounded where it meets the cap, and the cap is so deep that it covers my ears. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT???

• addictedzone - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Barry, Mark, Alex, Jason, Lenny, Jeremy, Chuck, Roger, Andy, Kevin, Rafael, Jose, whoever you are…What did you expect when you got off the juice?

• cur68 - Oct 31, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Caps have increased in size as player salaries have increased in size. The extra space in the hat is for your wallet.

• spudchukar - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Any wonder that your head is shrinking after the 2011 season?

• spudchukar - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Sorry Cur, this was aimed at J5.

• cur68 - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Well, I’m glad you are talking to Jonny, Spuds, cause that would just be kicking a guy while he’s been down for the last 6 months. My head shrunk around June, when the Jays were sprinting for “left for dead” in the AL East. I’ve been able to wear my official Blue Jays Cap down to my shoulders since July. There are compensations, though. Its warm & hides the dandruff.

16. florida76 - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Dislike the cap, but the Marlins have been impressive when we’re talking about franchise achievement for a club with a short existence. Miami has won as many world titles as the Indians, Mets, Phillies, and Cubs, which is surprising. The Marlins have also won more world championships outright than the following teams: Royals, Rays, Brewers, Rangers, Angels, Mariners, Nats, Astros, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Padres, Braves(since they’ve been in Atlanta), and Giants(since they’ve been in San Francisco).

I’m not a Marlins fan, but the fire sales and struggles that franchise has experienced shouldn’t obscure the achievements that organization has earned in a short time span.

• Old Gator - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM

It should if you’ve been downstream of the vomit of organizational contempt for its fans that followed hard on (hardon?) each of those “achievements.”

• ta192 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:36 PM

For a not-Marlins Fans, you sure sound like a Marlins fan…

17. JBerardi - Oct 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Notice how the M is made up completely of straight lines, while the “Marlin” graphic uses only curves? It’s like they managed to use to incongruous typefaces in a logo that only includes one letter. That’s a remarkable achievement in the field of screwing up the un-screw-up-able. Bravo.

18. deepflakes - Oct 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Truly, truly, ugly. This has got to be a Halloween joke.

19. clydeserra - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I like it. And in 2027 when the 2012 throwbacks are worn, you will like it too.

20. Old Gator - Oct 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM

It’s difficult to imagine how repulsive the entire uniform is going to be if the mere log is execrable. I’m afraid they’re going to look like the elves from Benigni’s Pinocchio. I really hope it was Harold Camping who predicted that they would be unveiled on November 11.

This team is going to be a joke on so many levels – that ridiculous aquarium behind home plate (where even if shatterproof – which remains to be seen – with the tropical fish going cloacas-up from the shock of the glass being hit by fouls and passed balls, the repulsive logos, the crass home run “work o’ fart” in center field with its pinball-machine cachet, the stadium that looks like an over-engineered kitchen appliance from a 1959 “kitchen of the future” article in Popular Science, and best of all, the vulgar, slobbering, incoherent manager – probably the only one on the whole team who will look appropriate in those doubtlessly tasteless uniforms and crass logos.

If we had known that this was what Scrooge McLoria was going to look like when he got into spending money, we would have propitiated Buddha and the lwas to keep him the same old cheapskate we had come to love.

• ta192 - Oct 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM

“cloacas-up”, ROFLMAO…

21. rcali - Oct 31, 2011 at 4:06 PM

So will they have a rainbow flag on the arms of their jersey’s instead of the American flag?

22. Tyree Studio - Oct 31, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Skittles has to be an official team sponser next year

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS