C.J. Wilson: There’s “a great chance” I stay with Texas

Nov 1, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT

C.J. Wilson Getty Images

Before you read this, go back and read this.  OK? Great.  I won’t make you do that again every time we talk free agent stuff, but do please try to remember it.

Anyway, C.J. Wilson gave an interview to Scoreboarddaily.com and said this when asked if he might return to the Rangers:

Yeah, there’s a great chance because I like it here and I’ve won here. I’ve proved that I can be a good pitcher here.

The Rangers could certainly end up being the most desirable suitor for Wilson’s services. Indeed, rumblings out of the Yankee Universe — long thought the most likely team to bid on Wilson — have grown decidedly negative lately, and weren’t helped at all by Wilson’s lackluster postseason.  But ultimately — as is the case with every free agent, money is going to play the largest role.

All things being equal, sure, Wilson chooses to stay where he’s comfy.  But when was the last time all things were equal in the upper end of the free agent market?

1. clydeserra - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM

When he says he is willing to play in Oakland, then we know we have crossed through the looking glass.

2. natstowngreg - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM

The last time? Probably, Joe Mauer. But he’s the exception that proves the rule.

3. pisano - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM

As his showing in the series proved, he’s not a no.1 starter, but a solid 2 or 3, that being said, for the right price he’ll command a lot of attention, but not as an ace of your staff.

4. antlerclaws - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:34 PM

C.J. says a lot of things—he tends to ramble, so I wouldn’t put a lot of meaning into a lot of things he said. Lots of words tend to come out of his mouth, in a seemingly neverending stream.

• protius - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Are you a Rangers beat writer?

5. dirkified - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM

As a season ticket holder for 6yrs now, I would like to see this money spent elsewhere. We have Orgando, Feliz, Harrison, Holland, and Feldman as are starters for next year. We have a solid bullpen and killer relivers in the minors. We do not need another tank job by CJ in the playoff’s. Wilson = Romo. Remember Ranger fans, we Boo’d CJ game 1 of the ACLS and ALDS and in the World series. I was at all the games.. not many fans want him back..

Later CJ!! another WS down the drain!!

6. protius - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:15 PM

And who said the schools in Texas are producing poorly educated people?

Three legends off to Cooperstown