Nov 1, 2011, 12:54 AM EDT
Furcal’s option was worth $12 million, so it was a no-brainer to pay the $1.3 million buyout. The 34-year-old shortstop batted .231/.298/.348 with eight homers, 28 RBI and nine stolen bases over 369 plate appearances this season between the Cardinals and Dodgers. He really struggled offensively during the postseason and was even dropped in the batting order during the World Series, but the Cardinals have expressed interest in bringing him back in 2012.
As for Dotel, he will receive a $750,000 buyout rather than $3.5 million next season. The 37-year-old right-hander posted a 3.50 ERA and 62/17 K/BB ratio over 54 innings between the Cardinals and Blue Jays during the regular season and a 2.61 ERA and 14/2 K/BB ratio over 10 1/3 innings during the postseason. He qualifies as a Type A free agent.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)