Nov 1, 2011, 12:54 AM EDT
Furcal’s option was worth $12 million, so it was a no-brainer to pay the $1.3 million buyout. The 34-year-old shortstop batted .231/.298/.348 with eight homers, 28 RBI and nine stolen bases over 369 plate appearances this season between the Cardinals and Dodgers. He really struggled offensively during the postseason and was even dropped in the batting order during the World Series, but the Cardinals have expressed interest in bringing him back in 2012.
As for Dotel, he will receive a $750,000 buyout rather than $3.5 million next season. The 37-year-old right-hander posted a 3.50 ERA and 62/17 K/BB ratio over 54 innings between the Cardinals and Blue Jays during the regular season and a 2.61 ERA and 14/2 K/BB ratio over 10 1/3 innings during the postseason. He qualifies as a Type A free agent.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (135)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)