CC Sabathia willing to lose weight

Nov 1, 2011, 10:00 AM EST

CC Sabathia Getty Images

It was reported last winter that CC Sabathia lost 30 pounds simply by cutting Captain Crunch out of his diet. No, really.

Of course, anyone who watched Sabathia pitch this year — especially in the second half — could not help but notice that the Yankees’ ace was not exactly in the best shape of his life.  Talking with the media after agreeing to an extension with the Yankees yesterday, CC admitted that his conditioning is something that could use some attention:

“It’s something I do regardless, and be proactive,” Sabathia said during a conference call after agreeing to a new five-year, $122 million deal with the Yankees. “I just need to go out and be healthy and try to do what I can to be up there for every start for this team. For me, that means losing weight, so that’s what I’ll do.”

That’s good to hear, because the guy is an amazing pitcher. While a lot of that mass — especially below the belt — likely helps his pitching, the gut and carrying it all around can’t be helping any. If nothing else, his stamina is probably suffering as a result.

When you’re as big as Sabathia is already, and when you have the time, money and access for trainers and dietitians and everything, losing the 30-40 pounds he likely needs to lose is a doable thing. I mean, I’m just some schmo blogger and I’ve lost 27 pounds since April simply by hopping on the basement treadmill, watching science fiction shows and saying no to that extra slice of pizza from time to time.

Good luck, CC. I’d love to write a Best Shape of His Life story about you next spring that isn’t dubious or sarcastic. I then want to be able to make fun of a bunch of those “we’ll never see a 300 game winner again” stories we’ll no doubt get when you pass the mark at the end of a long and healthy career.

1. hotkarlsandwich - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM

On his way to being in The Best Shape of His Life.

2. phukyouk - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM

27 Lbs? you also gave up Captain Crunch?

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Still eating Count Chocula, though. A man has needs.

3. natsattack - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Try a Todd Coffey sprint

4. Francisco (FC) - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:49 AM

300 game winner or 300lb game winner?

5. pellypell - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Round is a shape.

6. cur68 - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Yep, definitely gut check time for Cap’n Crunch…

7. Old Gator - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Right, Sabathia is willing to lose weight and the hydrogen atom is willing to lose two electrons from its inner ring. Best of luck to both of them.

8. firemarshal1 - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Are you serious, this preciously why the MLB owners need to lock out the players and renegotiate a deal similar to the NFLPA and NHLPA organizations. No more guarantee contracts. Where is the dedication and motivation of the players?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5628)