Nov 1, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Of course, anyone who watched Sabathia pitch this year — especially in the second half — could not help but notice that the Yankees’ ace was not exactly in the best shape of his life. Talking with the media after agreeing to an extension with the Yankees yesterday, CC admitted that his conditioning is something that could use some attention:
“It’s something I do regardless, and be proactive,” Sabathia said during a conference call after agreeing to a new five-year, $122 million deal with the Yankees. “I just need to go out and be healthy and try to do what I can to be up there for every start for this team. For me, that means losing weight, so that’s what I’ll do.”
That’s good to hear, because the guy is an amazing pitcher. While a lot of that mass — especially below the belt — likely helps his pitching, the gut and carrying it all around can’t be helping any. If nothing else, his stamina is probably suffering as a result.
When you’re as big as Sabathia is already, and when you have the time, money and access for trainers and dietitians and everything, losing the 30-40 pounds he likely needs to lose is a doable thing. I mean, I’m just some schmo blogger and I’ve lost 27 pounds since April simply by hopping on the basement treadmill, watching science fiction shows and saying no to that extra slice of pizza from time to time.
Good luck, CC. I’d love to write a Best Shape of His Life story about you next spring that isn’t dubious or sarcastic. I then want to be able to make fun of a bunch of those “we’ll never see a 300 game winner again” stories we’ll no doubt get when you pass the mark at the end of a long and healthy career.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)