Nov 1, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Reader snowbirdgothic, commenting on the David Eckstein/Pujols story this morning, pretty much nails the nature of free agency speculation in the sporting press:
Somewhere, there’s a lonely, honest sportswriter who’s going to pen a piece called “Albert Pujols is going somewhere they’re going to back up a dump truck full of money to his house, and none of this other crap matters, but we can’t say that and we have column inches to fill.”
He will then, immediately, be fired, and his replacement will do 1200 words on how Rex Hudler believes that if Pujols goes to Chicago, he’s not a true Cardinal.
It really is that simple. There are a handful of people who actually know stuff, and even they don’t know it until right before something is announced. The rest of us are mostly just farting around. Nothing wrong with that — farting around is a lot of fun and gets us through the winter — but let’s not pretend it’s anything more than farting around.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 17
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?