David Freese’s Game 6 walkoff was even better for UK radio listeners

Nov 1, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals' Freese watches his game winning home run with Texas Rangers relief pitcher Lowe during the 11th inning in Game 6 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in St. Louis

Deadspin found the BBC radio feed from Game 6 of the World Series, took the announcer’s call of David Freese‘s walkoff homer and put it over the FOX video.

Maybe I’m a sucker for an accent, but I’m pretty sure I’d love to listen to 162 games of my home team being called by that guy.

1. msgiants2010 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Fantastic!

2. SmackSaw - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM

The posh way he pronounces Cardinals stands out. Ah, them frickin’ British. Great call. He sounds like Trevor Denman announcing a horse race.

• aaronmoreno - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Cahrd’nals

3. joshftw - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Get this guy to do Sunday Night Baseball and I may consider unmuting the program every week!

4. clydeserra - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM

That is fantastic. Gary thorne’s was here:

Really, Joe Buck was terrible. I think the homage to his dad was terrible. It is going to sound pretty cheap in 10 years.

• Kyle - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I hate Joe Buck and thought the homage was wonderful. I’d love to hear why you think that about Buck’s call. I’ve heard this sentiment a lot around the internet and would like to try and understand it.

• paperlions - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I have no problem with the idea of Buck ripping off his dad’s call….but the call itself was flat…no emotion or enthusiasm to it, it just felt flat, like he was reading it off a card.

• clydeserra - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM

For me, Jack bucks call was sincere, it was what good broadcasters do, they sum up the moment in a few words. His voice simultanisly conveyed the excitement of the moment and told listeners/watchers what the Puckett home run meant. Also, Its iconic. When you hear Jack Buck’s call, you know what is being called (partly because its played over and over).

joe Buck’s call was just a copy of what his dad said. Which would be nice, if it was your dad, but the moment did not, does not belong to the Buck family. It belongs to the 2011 Cardinals (I know Jack was a Cardinal broadcaster). It belongs to David Freese.

Because of that crappy call, it will be forever linked to the 1991 series that has nothing to do with the teams involved in 2011.

• clydeserra - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:56 PM

And what paper lions said. But that is one of the many many many critiques of Joe Buck in general.

• Kyle - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Fair enough, gents. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I thought Buck’s homage to his Dad’s call was the perfect end to an imperfect, riveting game.

I also liked the way he delivered it – glib, off the cuff – almost matter of fact.

• SmackSaw - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Hell, I was thinking about Jack Buck’s call when Freese hit it. You know Joe Buck was thinking it. What else could he say? I summed it up perfectly.

• clydeserra - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:12 PM

We all were thinking about Jack bucks call. As was McCarver and Buck, who had talked about it earlier in the game. Even showed the clip.

That is part of what made it uninspired.

5. gostlcards5 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM

This guy’s call is freaking awesome! The British accent adds to it, but really just his excitement is what makes it so, IMO.

6. aceshigh11 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Now THAT’S awesome. It makes all the difference in the world to hear someone with a pulse call a great moment like that.

Joe Buck wishes he had 1/100th of this Brits’ charisma and genuine enthusiasm for the game.

7. yankeesfanlen - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:05 PM

What was John Sterling doing in London?

8. halladaysbiceps - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:04 PM

It was a good call. I’m surprised that a Brit knows anything about baseball, let alone calling a game.

Now the BBC is running baseball games? Surprising. I didn’t think there was a British market for baseball.

Just like CNN hiring Pierre Morgan to take over Larry King’s spot because there was no American that could possibly do the job, it wouldn’t surprise me that some MLB club will hire this Brit as well to do play by play.

• phillyphreak - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I watched a documentary about a year ago on the MLB network on the British derivative of Baseball, Rounders, where they try and retrace possible origins of baseball. Rounders is nothing like baseball.

• phillyphreak - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Yea rounders seems different (at least at cursory glance) but the link I provided referenced actual MLB “like” baseball.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Maybe the Brits will qualify in 2012 for the ’13 WBC

• cur68 - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM

He’s better than Joe Buck. By an amount that is more than the difference between what Pujols gets paid and what I get paid. Talent like that deserves a shot in MLB.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Stephen Hawking would be a better play by play guy than Joe Buck.

• cur68 - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM

^^word

9. cur68 - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Listening to that call was great. Took me back to watching the game live. That’s what a good call of a game does; puts you there. It was everything Buck’s wasn’t: enthusiastic, full of joy at witnessing the moment, giving you a sense of what it might be like to be at the game. It was all his, too. Not someone’s coat tails at all. Yeah, that guy should call some more games next season; maybe the Blue Jays could give a shot?

• paperlions - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM

In defense of Joe Buck (another thing I never thought I would never type), after the call he stayed quiet and let the pictures and sound of the stadium tell the story….a thing that too few play-by-play guys do and something that worked very well for that moment….sometimes, the moment doesn’t need someone talking. Having said that…if the guy is going to talk, he damned well better show the appropriate level of excitement….like the British dude did.

• cur68 - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Truth be told, by the time Buck zipped it, I was hammering out “e”‘s on my keyboard and didn’t notice. I might have been a touch inebriated, too…

• clydeserra - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM

The British dude was doing a radio call

• paperlions - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Excellent radio call then

10. bigleagues - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Dude keeps it simple and to the point. He’s maintaining an energy level that matches the significance of the game’s outcome. He gives all the relevant facts and keeps focus on the game without needing to stoop to schticky phrases.

British accent or not, that guy is exactly what I want in a play-by-play host – especially on radio.

11. markroykil - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Hi from the UK. I actually prefer US announcers (sound more authentic) – ESPN shows the games live over here but with Fox announcers. The time difference is terrible but it was worth it for Game 6.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Born, raised and grew up in the UK? If so, out of curiosity, why do you follow American baseball? How did you become a fan of the sport?

• paperlions - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM

He enjoyed playing rounders as a kid and it was just a natural transition.

12. markroykil - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Lived in Delaware for a year so that makes me a PHILLIES fan

• cur68 - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM

You guys try and make every post about the Phillies, dontcha?

13. umrguy42 - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Sorry, catching up on my DVR from last night, watching Freese on Leno. Leno asked him about having his dad as a coach growing up, and Freese said it was great, but there was a point when “you have to let your coach be your coach, and your dad your dad”.

trasmus3, are you listening?

• umrguy42 - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:28 PM

In relation to the audio – KMOX needs to get this guy paired up with Mike Shannon, stat! I want him on ALL Cards games!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3601)