Nov 1, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
That response came following a question about the Mets possibly trading Wright, who’s under contract for $15 million next season with a $16 million option or $1 million buyout for 2013.
However, because that 2013 option would void if Wright is traded to another team his value to the Mets might be higher than his value in a trade.
Of course, unless Wright bounces back from a career-worst season–including just 102 games and his first sub-.800 OPS–the notion of paying him $16 million in 2013 won’t be particularly appealing anyway.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)