Nov 1, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
That response came following a question about the Mets possibly trading Wright, who’s under contract for $15 million next season with a $16 million option or $1 million buyout for 2013.
However, because that 2013 option would void if Wright is traded to another team his value to the Mets might be higher than his value in a trade.
Of course, unless Wright bounces back from a career-worst season–including just 102 games and his first sub-.800 OPS–the notion of paying him $16 million in 2013 won’t be particularly appealing anyway.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29