Nov 1, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
That response came following a question about the Mets possibly trading Wright, who’s under contract for $15 million next season with a $16 million option or $1 million buyout for 2013.
However, because that 2013 option would void if Wright is traded to another team his value to the Mets might be higher than his value in a trade.
Of course, unless Wright bounces back from a career-worst season–including just 102 games and his first sub-.800 OPS–the notion of paying him $16 million in 2013 won’t be particularly appealing anyway.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 50
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 41
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)