Nov 1, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
Ordonez was removed from the playoff roster after re-fracturing his ankle and his career is very much in doubt at age 38. He earned $10 million this season after re-signing with the Tigers, but hit just .255 with five homers and a .634 OPS in 92 games.
Guillen played just 28 games this season because of knee and calf injuries, and also played just 68 games in 2010 and 81 games in 2009. He was paid $13 million in the final season of a four-year, $48 million contract and at age 36 will almost surely have to settle for a modest one-year deal on the open market.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)