Jamie Moyer throws for scouts. Verdict: “excellent”

Nov 1, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

moyer getty Getty Images

Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that Jamie Moyer — who turns 49 in a couple of weeks and is coming off Tommy John surgery — threw for scouts in San Diego yesterday and that the scouting report was “excellent.”

The definition of “excellent” is a subjective one, I suppose, but I also suppose that the scouts were judging him on his most recent pre-TJ surgery form. Suspected upshot: non-existent velocity and a metric buttload of craft. Like, more craft in the little flakes of dry skin that scatter when he takes his jersey off than the next ten crafty lefties have accumulated in their entire careers. Damn, he’s glorious.

Anyway: someone is going to sign him to a minor league contract, right?  Jamie Moyer pitching in the big leagues at 49 is way too good a story and happening in the universe for that not to happen, right?

1. Alex K - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM

How great of of a fit would he be for the Padres? No money and a lot of average to better innings in that big park.

• icanspeel - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Padres would be the best fit for him.. young team needs veteran leadership, pitching in Petco, and he’ll come cheap.

• dlevalley - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Seriously. If he started only at Petco, he’d have a 1.15 ERA (99 ERA+).

• okobojicat - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM

If I was a betting man, I’d put my money on a minor league with the Mariners. He pitched very well there for a long time. He is LOVED in the city. And they could use another soft tossing Lefty to teach Vargas how to get just 5% better.

2. thefalcon123 - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Excellent? Come on, no scout has watched Jaime Moyer pitch in more than 15 years and described it as excellent. No one watched a 71 MPH “fastball” and does anything but double over laughing. Which adds to the miracle of Jaime Moyer. Somehow he turns that sad sack of slop into a league average ERA every year. It’s pretty awesome. I hope he comes back, wins 15 games and leave behind a wake of baffled hitters, walking back to the dugout trying to figure out how the hell they just managed to hit a weak pop-out.

• wlschneider09 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I’d guess the actual comment was “Excellent…. for a 49 year old guy coming off major surgery.”

3. Kyle - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

It almost makes too much sense for the Mariners to sign him and warm the hearts of the entire state’s mothers and grandmothers.

• emeraldcityfan - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I say bring him back if only so he can be in the Brown Bear car wash commercials again.

4. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Crafty lefty out of the bullpen is better than no lefty at all.

5. cur68 - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I need this guy back next season. Why? Because his presence in MLB on the active roster means that I still got a shot at greatness at age 43. If Moyer, age 49, can still be at least as good as his peers, many of whom he could have fathered, or grandfathered in the case of some rooks, then he is great. I’d like to nominate the Julio Franco Award for Moyer. If there isn’t a JFA then there damn well should be one.

• natstowngreg - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Some day in the next couple of seasons (depending on how long Moyer and Tim Wakefield last), you will come to a terrible realization. The realization that every MLB player is younger than you. Happened to me about 15 years ago, and it’s not fun at all.

• b7p19 - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Old people are crazy.

• wlschneider09 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM

No, we’re bitter and envious. This may result in us saying things that sound crazy, but we’re way too old to be insane.

• cur68 - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM

b7p19: you can get the hell off my lawn.

• jwbiii - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:45 PM

5/1/2008 is the dark day in my life. Julio Franco retired.

6. bleedgreen - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I wouldn’t mind the Phils picking him back up if he understands he’s not going to be a starter, but a long man/mop up guy.

7. natstowngreg - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:19 PM

“Excellent” is, he can pitch at all, after getting his left elbow rebuilt. Moyer’s return to a MLB pitching staff would be further proof of three principles:

1. Tommy John Surgery usually works.
    2. If you are left-handed and can throw a baseball through a strike zone, there is hope.
    3. MLB teams (even the ones with good rotations) are desparate for rotation depth.

8. bigleagues - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Little discussed Duquette FAIL: Signing Jamie Moyer as a FA for the 1996 season, Moyer goes 7-1 in 23 games and 10 Starts and Duquette trades Moyer to Seattle for Darren Bragg . . . Moyer goes on to Win another 201 Games before temporarily shutting it down for Tommy John surgery.

9. kellyb9 - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Besides coming with a cheap price tag, he’s also a great locker room guy. It’s like having another pitching coach in the dugout. Great story if he can make it back to the bigs after TJ Surgery.

10. philsieg - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Take it easy on him, he’s just a kid. i was a freshman in HS when Jamie Moyer was born.

• kellyb9 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I was a year old when he made his MLB debut.

• natstowngreg - Nov 1, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I was in 6th grade. I think. Gets kinda fuzzy after all these years…

11. clydeserra - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Little known trivia, Moyer took Tommy John’s place int the Dodger’s rotation when John was rehabbing.

12. Jonny 5 - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM

This is exactly why everyone loves Jamie Moyer. For 20 years he’s been told by various people it’s time to hang up the cleats. And every time he’s laughed it off and he’s proved them wrong.

13. crankyfrankie - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM

On my list of things I want besides a Phillies world championship is Jamie Moyer proving all the naysayers wrong once again.

14. firedude7160 - Nov 1, 2011 at 8:36 PM

While I would love to see Moyer retire as a Phillie (since it is his home town) I would be OK with him spending his final days in Seattle. I just want to see him pitch in the Majors again. Nothing like seeing batters beat themselves up after a shallow fly or strikeout at the hands of the ageless wonder

15. Lukehart80 - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Damn, if this could only have happened 24 hours earlier, the Tribe could’ve had a lefty in their rotation, and for a lot less then $5MM, I’ll bet.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3370)