Nov 1, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that Jamie Moyer — who turns 49 in a couple of weeks and is coming off Tommy John surgery — threw for scouts in San Diego yesterday and that the scouting report was “excellent.”
The definition of “excellent” is a subjective one, I suppose, but I also suppose that the scouts were judging him on his most recent pre-TJ surgery form. Suspected upshot: non-existent velocity and a metric buttload of craft. Like, more craft in the little flakes of dry skin that scatter when he takes his jersey off than the next ten crafty lefties have accumulated in their entire careers. Damn, he’s glorious.
Anyway: someone is going to sign him to a minor league contract, right? Jamie Moyer pitching in the big leagues at 49 is way too good a story and happening in the universe for that not to happen, right?
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)