Nov 1, 2011, 9:51 PM EST
There’s still a belief that Mark Cuban wouldn’t be welcomed by Bud Selig in the club of MLB owners, but that didn’t stop him from offering to buy the Dodgers earlier this year.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that Cuban inquired about the Dodgers “several months ago,” but that he declined to enter negotiations after Frank McCourt said the price tag would be in the range of $1-$1.2 billion.
“At that price, I wasn’t interested,” Cuban said Tuesday.
Cuban was involved in the bidding for the Cubs and was outbid for the Rangers as a minority partner with Jim Crane last year. While his previous talks with McCourt didn’t go anywhere, he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bidding for the Dodgers again.
“At the right price, I’m interested,” he said. “Not if the price is over $1 billion.”
As we learned yesterday, McCourt is close to an agreement with MLB on a bankruptcy settlement in which he would agree to sell the Dodgers.
For what it’s worth, Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that McCourt would get “at least” $1 billion if he decides to sell the team and that suitors are “already lining up.”
UPDATE: According to Shaikin, a spokesman for McCourt denied Cuban’s claim that he offered to buy the Dodgers.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)