Nov 1, 2011, 9:51 PM EST
There’s still a belief that Mark Cuban wouldn’t be welcomed by Bud Selig in the club of MLB owners, but that didn’t stop him from offering to buy the Dodgers earlier this year.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that Cuban inquired about the Dodgers “several months ago,” but that he declined to enter negotiations after Frank McCourt said the price tag would be in the range of $1-$1.2 billion.
“At that price, I wasn’t interested,” Cuban said Tuesday.
Cuban was involved in the bidding for the Cubs and was outbid for the Rangers as a minority partner with Jim Crane last year. While his previous talks with McCourt didn’t go anywhere, he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bidding for the Dodgers again.
“At the right price, I’m interested,” he said. “Not if the price is over $1 billion.”
As we learned yesterday, McCourt is close to an agreement with MLB on a bankruptcy settlement in which he would agree to sell the Dodgers.
For what it’s worth, Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that McCourt would get “at least” $1 billion if he decides to sell the team and that suitors are “already lining up.”
UPDATE: According to Shaikin, a spokesman for McCourt denied Cuban’s claim that he offered to buy the Dodgers.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)