Nov 1, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
There’s still a belief that Mark Cuban wouldn’t be welcomed by Bud Selig in the club of MLB owners, but that didn’t stop him from offering to buy the Dodgers earlier this year.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that Cuban inquired about the Dodgers “several months ago,” but that he declined to enter negotiations after Frank McCourt said the price tag would be in the range of $1-$1.2 billion.
“At that price, I wasn’t interested,” Cuban said Tuesday.
Cuban was involved in the bidding for the Cubs and was outbid for the Rangers as a minority partner with Jim Crane last year. While his previous talks with McCourt didn’t go anywhere, he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bidding for the Dodgers again.
“At the right price, I’m interested,” he said. “Not if the price is over $1 billion.”
As we learned yesterday, McCourt is close to an agreement with MLB on a bankruptcy settlement in which he would agree to sell the Dodgers.
For what it’s worth, Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that McCourt would get “at least” $1 billion if he decides to sell the team and that suitors are “already lining up.”
UPDATE: According to Shaikin, a spokesman for McCourt denied Cuban’s claim that he offered to buy the Dodgers.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)