Nov 1, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
There’s still a belief that Mark Cuban wouldn’t be welcomed by Bud Selig in the club of MLB owners, but that didn’t stop him from offering to buy the Dodgers earlier this year.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that Cuban inquired about the Dodgers “several months ago,” but that he declined to enter negotiations after Frank McCourt said the price tag would be in the range of $1-$1.2 billion.
“At that price, I wasn’t interested,” Cuban said Tuesday.
Cuban was involved in the bidding for the Cubs and was outbid for the Rangers as a minority partner with Jim Crane last year. While his previous talks with McCourt didn’t go anywhere, he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of bidding for the Dodgers again.
“At the right price, I’m interested,” he said. “Not if the price is over $1 billion.”
As we learned yesterday, McCourt is close to an agreement with MLB on a bankruptcy settlement in which he would agree to sell the Dodgers.
For what it’s worth, Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that McCourt would get “at least” $1 billion if he decides to sell the team and that suitors are “already lining up.”
UPDATE: According to Shaikin, a spokesman for McCourt denied Cuban’s claim that he offered to buy the Dodgers.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 0
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)