Nov 1, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Today is deadline day for the Cubs and the Red Sox to come to an agreement on compensation for the latter allowing Epstein out of his contract to join the former. As Pete Abe reports in the Globe, there has been no real progress and it looks as though it will all be thrown into Bud Selig’s lap for resolution.
Which I have to assume is what everyone involved wants. The sort of negotiation going on there has to be awkward. Think about it: the team who was — for lack of a better term — jilted is in the position of arguing how valuable Epstein was and the team who desperately wanted him and paid big money for him arguing that, nah, he’s not worth a ton. Better to let Selig decide.
I would love to see his ruling be a crazy one: the Sox have to give John Lackey to the Cubs and the Cubs have to give Alfonso Soriano and $11.75 million to the Red Sox. The money would even out then, each would be stuck with a near-useless player and it would have the added poetry of making each team wear a scarlet “A” to memorialize their asinine free agent signing.
Sadly, I don’t think Bud has the flair for that kind of literary justice.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)