Nov 1, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Today is deadline day for the Cubs and the Red Sox to come to an agreement on compensation for the latter allowing Epstein out of his contract to join the former. As Pete Abe reports in the Globe, there has been no real progress and it looks as though it will all be thrown into Bud Selig’s lap for resolution.
Which I have to assume is what everyone involved wants. The sort of negotiation going on there has to be awkward. Think about it: the team who was — for lack of a better term — jilted is in the position of arguing how valuable Epstein was and the team who desperately wanted him and paid big money for him arguing that, nah, he’s not worth a ton. Better to let Selig decide.
I would love to see his ruling be a crazy one: the Sox have to give John Lackey to the Cubs and the Cubs have to give Alfonso Soriano and $11.75 million to the Red Sox. The money would even out then, each would be stuck with a near-useless player and it would have the added poetry of making each team wear a scarlet “A” to memorialize their asinine free agent signing.
Sadly, I don’t think Bud has the flair for that kind of literary justice.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)