Nov 1, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
Theo Epstein met with manager Mike Quade on Friday to discuss Quade’s future [cough!] lack thereof [cough!] with the Cubs. No word since then, but this afternoon Epstein was asked and he said that they had “a productive conversation” and that they hope to have a decision on Quade within a week.
I’ve mentioned before that, when I was in Mesa, Arizona during spring training last year, I observed a bunch of Rush memorabilia in Quade’s office. As such, he would no doubt understand the concept which goes “if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.” That’s more about free will (duh) than inevitability, but it’s close enough. If the Cubs thought Quade was their huckleberry, they would have said so by now.
Quade is under contract for 2012, of course, so it would behoove him to wait to be fired rather than quit. But man, you know damn well that he’d love to just up and quit right now.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)