Nov 1, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
Theo Epstein met with manager Mike Quade on Friday to discuss Quade’s future [cough!] lack thereof [cough!] with the Cubs. No word since then, but this afternoon Epstein was asked and he said that they had “a productive conversation” and that they hope to have a decision on Quade within a week.
I’ve mentioned before that, when I was in Mesa, Arizona during spring training last year, I observed a bunch of Rush memorabilia in Quade’s office. As such, he would no doubt understand the concept which goes “if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.” That’s more about free will (duh) than inevitability, but it’s close enough. If the Cubs thought Quade was their huckleberry, they would have said so by now.
Quade is under contract for 2012, of course, so it would behoove him to wait to be fired rather than quit. But man, you know damn well that he’d love to just up and quit right now.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)