Nov 1, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Theo Epstein met with manager Mike Quade on Friday to discuss Quade’s future [cough!] lack thereof [cough!] with the Cubs. No word since then, but this afternoon Epstein was asked and he said that they had “a productive conversation” and that they hope to have a decision on Quade within a week.
I’ve mentioned before that, when I was in Mesa, Arizona during spring training last year, I observed a bunch of Rush memorabilia in Quade’s office. As such, he would no doubt understand the concept which goes “if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.” That’s more about free will (duh) than inevitability, but it’s close enough. If the Cubs thought Quade was their huckleberry, they would have said so by now.
Quade is under contract for 2012, of course, so it would behoove him to wait to be fired rather than quit. But man, you know damn well that he’d love to just up and quit right now.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)