Nov 1, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Theo Epstein met with manager Mike Quade on Friday to discuss Quade’s future [cough!] lack thereof [cough!] with the Cubs. No word since then, but this afternoon Epstein was asked and he said that they had “a productive conversation” and that they hope to have a decision on Quade within a week.
I’ve mentioned before that, when I was in Mesa, Arizona during spring training last year, I observed a bunch of Rush memorabilia in Quade’s office. As such, he would no doubt understand the concept which goes “if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.” That’s more about free will (duh) than inevitability, but it’s close enough. If the Cubs thought Quade was their huckleberry, they would have said so by now.
Quade is under contract for 2012, of course, so it would behoove him to wait to be fired rather than quit. But man, you know damn well that he’d love to just up and quit right now.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)