Nov 1, 2011, 9:40 AM EST
According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, the Red Sox are going to consider Grady Sizemore as a potential replacement for J.D. Drew in right field.
I can only assume it’s because they were tired of Drew’s health and durability.
Seriously, though, there are worse things to do in life than to give Grady Sizemore an incentive-laden one-year deal. Most of them are illegal, but there are worse things to do. Yes, he’s missed 220 of a possible 324 games while hitting just .220 with a .659 OPS, but it’s not crazy to think that he could put together some kind of short stretch here or there that would help a lot of teams out. You just can’t go expecting him to fill the position for the entire season or go into it without about 17 backup options.
He’s intriguing, is what I’m saying. And I’m not just saying that because I think that the word “intriguing” is going to be written next to Sizemore’s name 1000 times this offseason and I just want to be the earliest Google result for it.
OK, maybe I am.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)