The Red Sox are going to take a look at Grady Sizemore

Nov 1, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT

sizemore close Getty Images

According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, the Red Sox are going to consider Grady Sizemore as a potential replacement for J.D. Drew in right field.

I can only assume it’s because they were tired of Drew’s health and durability.

Seriously, though, there are worse things to do in life than to give Grady Sizemore  an incentive-laden one-year deal. Most of them are illegal, but there are worse things to do. Yes, he’s missed 220 of a possible 324 games while hitting just .220 with a .659 OPS, but it’s not crazy to think that he could put together some kind of short stretch here or there that would help a lot of teams out.  You just can’t go expecting him to fill the position for the entire season or go into it without about 17 backup options.

He’s intriguing, is what I’m saying. And I’m not just saying that because I think that the word “intriguing” is going to be written next to Sizemore’s name 1000 times this offseason and I just want to be the earliest Google result for it.

OK, maybe I am.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Kind of hesitant at this, Sizemore has never played a corner OF position as a Major Leaguer and RF at Fenway is not necessarily cookie-cutter dimensions.

• bloodysock - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Neither are left or center in Fenway.

• rollinghighwayblues - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Shit…touche, sock…touche.

• bigleagues - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM

With Kalish and Reddick as possible back-ups, I’m down with giving Grady a shot. If healthy, Sizemore is an above average CF’er, so I have no qualms about him in RF at Fenway for 81 Games and he has the type of approach that can exploit the RF corner as it tapers into Pesky Pole.

And interestingly enough, he’s another LH bat. Which may or may not spell doom for Papi. The Sox need to add a RH threat to the lineup and if they go LH in RF, then that RH addition will have to come from another lineup slot.

2. bobdira - Nov 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM

That’s what the Sox need, another broken piece of hitting. Or maybe they’re looking at him to replace John Lackey.

3. bozosforall - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Boston trying to buy a title once again. Maybe they can get Ortiz to share the “boli” with Sizemore.

• Ari Collins - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Yes, trying to buy the title with a broken-down OF who hasn’t been good since 2008, probably on a cheap make-good deal.

• lazlosother - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM

You mean Boston actually pays their players? My God! Have the Yankees heard about this?

4. Matt Aromando - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

The Red Sox love to take one year chances on players. It hasn’t really worked out yet but I think that’s because they had been trying it too much with pitchers (Wade Miller, Brad Penny). I like the idea of the Sox giving Sizemore a try, they have a few quality minor league outfielders as backup.

• Alex K - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM

That Beltre guy worked out pretty well a couple years ago.

• Charles Gates - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I remember some article saying that the Sawx’s pre-contract physical was more involved than that of other teams. Maybe they think they have some sort of information asymmetry regarding injuries and they can get people to contribute for less than market value,

You can value the production via statistics, but not durability and therefore the ability to generate those stats.

5. uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Why wouldn’t the Sox give Reddick 1st shot at right field?

Also this is off topic but I’m interest in what Sox fans might think. Obviously there is an issue with Youkilis’s health and his ability to man 3rd base all year and stay healthy. Since Ortiz is a FA and probably looking for at least a 2 year deal in the neighborhood of $25M. Why not look at possibly looking at Aramis Ramirez for 3rd base and move Youkilis to DH (let Ortiz walk). Ramirez could get most of the playing time at 3rd base and be spelled occasionally by Youkilis. Youkilis would get the majority of his AB’s at DH but still on a few occasions spell Gonzalez at 1st base. Ramirez and Gonzalez get most of the playing time in the field and Youkilis gets most of the DH at bats while still getting in some defense and hopefully is able to stay healthy. Is this to far off base?

Just wondering what Sox fans might think.

• Joe - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I think Ramirez is going to require too much of a commitment. The Red Sox have a nice prospect at AAA who could be as good as Ramirez in a couple of years. I’d rather tide over with Youkilis and Lowrie until Middlebrooks is ready.

• uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Joe, I could be wrong. But I guess “require too much of a commitment” is relative. The way I see it. Considering Ramirez will be 34 midway through the 2012 season and more importantly Boras is NOT his agent he can probably be had for 3 year $45 to $50M per plus or minus. Is that to many years and to much money? My guess is no, especially if you consider you can let Ortiz walk and save potentially $25M of that salary and save Youkilis potential health issues by primarily DH’ing him and I might add have a heck of a back up 1st and 3rd baseman when necessary.

• wlschneider09 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM

But if the Sox we’re unwilling to go the extra yard for a 32 year old Beltre, why would they suddenly become commitment friendly for a 34 year old Ramirez?

• uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM

wischneider – To answer your questions “if the Sox we’re unwilling to go the extra yard for a 32 year old Beltre, why would they suddenly become commitment friendly for a 34 year old Ramirez? Because signing Ramirez would probably only cost the Sox about $25M over 3 years if they let Ortiz walk as opposed to resigning him. And Ramirez at a net cost of $25M over 3 years would be a huge bargain.
        I can think of 2 other reasons as well.
        First, for the most part with the exception of 2009 he’s been relatively injury free.
        Second, and more importantly he solves more than one problem. Unlike, signing Beltran. A Beltran signing as I’ve already mentioned still leaves the Sox with Youkilis’s long term health issues at playing 3rd base on a regular basis. And it also means the Sox have to resign Ortiz. Whereas, signing Ramirez as I commented early frees up Youkilis from everyday 3rd base duties, allows the Sox to pass on Ortiz freeing up whatever salary they would have committed to him. And it also gives the Sox an excellent part time 1st base and 3rd base sub when necessary. And may very well actually cost less on a 3 year deal than Beltran.

If those aren’t 2 good reason I don’t know what is. Obviously I’m not a Red Sox fan but I have to be honest it seems like a no brainer to me.

• pisano - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:04 PM

uyf1950, that makes way too much sense for the Sox org. they would rather have another DL candidate(Sizemore) to go along with the rest. Hey, maybe he likes beer and chicken, so he and Gomer (Lackey) will have something in common.

• thinman61 - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Probably because of Reddick’s poor glove and inability to stop chasing pitches outside the strike zone.

• uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM

So the solution is to sign a player that will cost them a lot more and someone who has obvious health issues. Sorry but that explanation “thinman” doesn’t seem to hold water if Sizemore is the option they are looking at. At least in my opinion.

• thinman61 - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Oh no, I don’t want anything to do with Sizemore. Just explaining why Reddick isn’t (or at least shouldn’t be) Plan A.

• uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM

thinman, sorry I misunderstood your earlier comment. I thought you were advocating signing Sizemore, that’s why my initial reply to you.

6. frankvzappa - Nov 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

This is the major league equivalent of trying to fit the round peg into the square hole. One of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard.

7. Ari Collins - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Beltran is more Boston’s style.

8. xpensivewinos - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Ramirez or Beltran are intriguing in that they’re right handed hitters. The Red Sox need to break up those lefty bats a bit.

I’m all for taking a flyer on Sizemore (another lefty by the way), but you better have Plan B in place because you just can’t expect him to be healthy. It’s a shame, but he’s like the Bill Walton of baseball.

I would trade Youkilis to the Reds for a starting pitcher and give Ortiz a two year deal.

9. xpensivewinos - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM

….and yeah, I realize Beltran is a switch-hitter.

10. RickyB - Nov 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Fortunately for Grady, there is no mention of anyone kicking the tires on him. He’d probably miss all of 2012 if that happened.

11. skeleteeth - Nov 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Lady Sizemore instead of DL Drew Okaaaaeee??

• bobwsc - Nov 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM

if Drew was just wrapping up with another team, the Sox would be all over him. their reclamation projects have paid minimal dividends (Smoltz, Colon, even Delgado and JuanGone). someone mentioned it earlier: what’s wrong with letting Kalish and Reddick duke it out for playing time in right? they treat this team like a fantasy roster.

• rexryanisablowhard - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Out of the frying pan, into the fire

12. woodsmeister - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Right field? Have they seen Grady throw a baseball?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5214)