The Yankees cut ties with Andrew Brackman

Nov 1, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT

Andrew Brackman Getty Images

Andrew Brackman was the Yankees’ first round pick in 2007. He’s tall. He had some serious promise. But he’s never put it together at all, and today the Yankees declined his 2012 option — he had a major league deal — and Brackman is now a free agent.

Brackman had Tommy John surgery after he was drafted, missed all of 2008 recovering and since then has put up minor league ERAs of 5.91, 3.90 and 6.00, while seeing his strikeout rate decline and his walk rate skyrocket. At this point the guy who was always going to be a project simply wasn’t worth a spot on the 40-man roster. ¬†And now he can become someone else’s project.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Brackman, is the perfect example why fans should not fall in love with “prospects”. Touted as one of the best young pitching prospects in the organization and 1/3rd of the Killer B’s he turns out to be a bust.

That’s why when the opportunity presents itself for a team to acquire an “established” MLB player for prospect or prospects. They should do it. At least that’s my opinion.

• Kevin S. - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Anybody touting Brackman as one of the best young pitching prospects in the organization didn’t know what they were talking about and threw him in with Banuelos and Betances because his name also happened to start with a ‘B.’ I’m not sure if he ever projected as more than a reliever, and he certainly hasn’t in the last couple of years, but even that was more about upside than probability given his injury travails. To use Brackman as a cautionary tale against falling in love with the rest of the cream in the Yanks’ system makes little sense at all, especially with Montero giving a much stronger counter-example in favor of giving your farm system a chance instead of trading them off for established (read: expensive) talent.

• uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM

My post was not a cautionary tale about the Yankees organization specifically, just the opposite. But a cautionary note in general about prospects. More across the board tend to not live up to expectations then those that do. That was my only point.

• lovesmesomeme - Nov 1, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Incredibly smart of you to see that they are cutting him loose and then say that anyone who touted him as a can’t miss prospect is not very smart.

• uyf1950 - Nov 2, 2011 at 4:40 AM

lovesmesome…, apparently you never learned to comprehend what you read. Read my original comment again. The point of my post was that you never know how a “prospect” is going to turn out, that’s why they are prospects. That’s why I said when the opportunity presents itself to make a trade for an “established” MLB player the team would be wise to do it.

My post had nothing to do with being smart. It had everything to do with emotions and nothing to do with anything else.

2. basedrum777 - Nov 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Brackman may be back with the Yanks. Just depends on what he thinks is best for him and his family.

• uyf1950 - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I believe but I may be mistaken that Boras is his agent. He may try and hook up with a team that down the road he might have a better chance of making the big league team.

3. Joe - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM

If you’re not a total draft/prospect geek, this is perhaps the least-compelling headline in the history of HBT.

• presidentmiraflores - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:26 PM

No, I’m pretty sure the one about who could be Jeter’s next girlfriend was less compelling.

4. Nick C - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Its probably much more of a cautionary tale about giving a draftee (especially a pitcher) a major league deal/40 man roster spot. If the Yanks hadn’t done that then they could have given him more time to develop and maybe get some return on their investment. However, using a valuable 40 man spot on someone still so far from contributing in the majors is something no team can really afford.

5. aaronmoreno - Nov 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I don’t really see this as a cautionary tale as much as a bad gamble. It’s not like many prospect guys saw Brackman as anything other than a tall guy who threw very hard. He was always wild, and never that successful.

However, a tall guy who throws hard has more of a chance than a lot of a short soft-tossers.

6. proudlycanadian - Nov 1, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I never understood why he was drafted in the first round. As a Jays fan I was happy that the Yankees wasted that pick. They knew that he needed surgery.

7. snowbirdgothic - Nov 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Very sad to hear. I saw Brackman pitch this summer and it was painful – pure pre-glasses “Wild Thing” territory. The guy behind the bullpen catcher watching for fouls kept his head on a swivel because Brackman had no idea where any of his warmup pitches were going; one nearly took out the third base coach.

He’s a local product, and by all accounts a nice guy. Here’s hoping he finds some place he can put it all together.

8. tuckyous - Nov 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I remember wishing for Porcello, and then wanting Brett Cecil or Tommy Hunter.

9. romoscollarbone - Nov 2, 2011 at 12:17 AM

As the story goes if memory serves me correctly. A-Rod went to NC State to watch his nephew play and came back gushing about Brackman. I wouldn’t dare insinuate that they would draft the kid on arods assesment, but take it for what it’s worth?

10. foreverchipper10 - Nov 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I saw him get rocked in AAA a lot. This does not surprise me one bit.

11. notsofast10 - Nov 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Andrew Backman, I hope you find the way to bounce back and realize this is just part of a journey. Sounds like you have a lot going thru your head while trying to pitch and live up to all the expectations that were heaped upon you. Find a new perspective and learn to have fun and you can make it!!!!!!

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2486)