Nov 1, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has had a busy week, signing CC Sabathia to a contract extension and inking a three-year deal of his own to stay in New York.
Today he held court with the media and indicated pretty strongly that the Yankees won’t be pursuing Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder as free agents because they’re still focusing on adding more pitching even after locking up Sabathia long term:
Offense is not a problem with this club. Our main focus and effort is going to be try to reinforce the pitching rotation and bullpen and depth and insurance policies we would have. It is pitching, pitching, pitching. That will be the main thrust of this stuff.
This morning there was a report about the Yankees being interested in re-signing Freddy Garcia, but C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle also figure to be on their radar. Yu Darvish could be too, although Cashman hinted that Hideki Irabu and Kei Igawa might make him a little more hesitant than most teams to pursue the highly touted Japanese ace.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)