Nov 1, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
We know that Blue Jays assistant Tony LaCava wants to be a general manager. He just doesn’t want to be the Orioles’ general manager.
According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, LaCava turned down Baltimore’s offer to serve as their GM, or whatever they’re calling the equivalent role these days. The Orioles under Peter Angelos don’t actually employ general managers. Technically, Andy MacPhail was the president of baseball operations.
Whatever it’s called, it’s clear it’s not one of baseball’s plum jobs at the moment. The Orioles have substantial resources, but between the meddling owner and the idea of competing against baseball’s behemoths in the AL East, it’s not hard to see why LaCava would pass on the opportunity if he thinks something better will come along in the next couple of years.
So, the Orioles have struck out yet again. It’s not necessarily such a bad thing; as well regarded as LaCava is around baseball, there’s no telling whether he’ll be a better GM than any number of alternatives.
But it does look bad. The Orioles can’t land top free agents and now they couldn’t even bring in their top choice to take over as GM. One wonders if things will ever change as long as Angelos is around.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)