Nov 1, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
We know that Blue Jays assistant Tony LaCava wants to be a general manager. He just doesn’t want to be the Orioles’ general manager.
According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, LaCava turned down Baltimore’s offer to serve as their GM, or whatever they’re calling the equivalent role these days. The Orioles under Peter Angelos don’t actually employ general managers. Technically, Andy MacPhail was the president of baseball operations.
Whatever it’s called, it’s clear it’s not one of baseball’s plum jobs at the moment. The Orioles have substantial resources, but between the meddling owner and the idea of competing against baseball’s behemoths in the AL East, it’s not hard to see why LaCava would pass on the opportunity if he thinks something better will come along in the next couple of years.
So, the Orioles have struck out yet again. It’s not necessarily such a bad thing; as well regarded as LaCava is around baseball, there’s no telling whether he’ll be a better GM than any number of alternatives.
But it does look bad. The Orioles can’t land top free agents and now they couldn’t even bring in their top choice to take over as GM. One wonders if things will ever change as long as Angelos is around.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)