Nov 1, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
We know that Blue Jays assistant Tony LaCava wants to be a general manager. He just doesn’t want to be the Orioles’ general manager.
According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, LaCava turned down Baltimore’s offer to serve as their GM, or whatever they’re calling the equivalent role these days. The Orioles under Peter Angelos don’t actually employ general managers. Technically, Andy MacPhail was the president of baseball operations.
Whatever it’s called, it’s clear it’s not one of baseball’s plum jobs at the moment. The Orioles have substantial resources, but between the meddling owner and the idea of competing against baseball’s behemoths in the AL East, it’s not hard to see why LaCava would pass on the opportunity if he thinks something better will come along in the next couple of years.
So, the Orioles have struck out yet again. It’s not necessarily such a bad thing; as well regarded as LaCava is around baseball, there’s no telling whether he’ll be a better GM than any number of alternatives.
But it does look bad. The Orioles can’t land top free agents and now they couldn’t even bring in their top choice to take over as GM. One wonders if things will ever change as long as Angelos is around.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)