Nov 2, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Aaron Cook is a free agent now that the Rockies have declined their $11 million option on him for 2012. And like a lot of recently-injured or ineffective starting pitchers, he said that he’d talk to the San Diego Padres. You know the pattern by now: it’s a big, pitcher-friendly park and it’s a great place for a one-year prove-yourself contract. The only downside: you don’t get to face the Padres offense several times a year. Still get the Giants, but no Padres.
But Cook told Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post that he’d talk to another team too: the Cincinnati Reds. Not exactly an obvious choice given that they play in a bandbox, but as Armstrong notes, Cook has always pitched well in Great American Ballpark.
But let’s also be realistic: he’s pitched six games in that joint. Six. While, sure, he’s only pitched 11 in Petco Park, at least his results match up roughly with what a lot of pitchers do there (i.e. pitch better). Is he really confident that he’d continue to buck the trend of pitchers getting blown up on Cincinnati?
Call the Reds once and see what they’d do for you, Aaron. But go see the Padres in person. You may find your efforts in that direction more richly rewarded, at least in the long term.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)