Nov 2, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Aaron Cook is a free agent now that the Rockies have declined their $11 million option on him for 2012. And like a lot of recently-injured or ineffective starting pitchers, he said that he’d talk to the San Diego Padres. You know the pattern by now: it’s a big, pitcher-friendly park and it’s a great place for a one-year prove-yourself contract. The only downside: you don’t get to face the Padres offense several times a year. Still get the Giants, but no Padres.
But Cook told Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post that he’d talk to another team too: the Cincinnati Reds. Not exactly an obvious choice given that they play in a bandbox, but as Armstrong notes, Cook has always pitched well in Great American Ballpark.
But let’s also be realistic: he’s pitched six games in that joint. Six. While, sure, he’s only pitched 11 in Petco Park, at least his results match up roughly with what a lot of pitchers do there (i.e. pitch better). Is he really confident that he’d continue to buck the trend of pitchers getting blown up on Cincinnati?
Call the Reds once and see what they’d do for you, Aaron. But go see the Padres in person. You may find your efforts in that direction more richly rewarded, at least in the long term.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)