Nov 2, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Aaron Cook is a free agent now that the Rockies have declined their $11 million option on him for 2012. And like a lot of recently-injured or ineffective starting pitchers, he said that he’d talk to the San Diego Padres. You know the pattern by now: it’s a big, pitcher-friendly park and it’s a great place for a one-year prove-yourself contract. The only downside: you don’t get to face the Padres offense several times a year. Still get the Giants, but no Padres.
But Cook told Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post that he’d talk to another team too: the Cincinnati Reds. Not exactly an obvious choice given that they play in a bandbox, but as Armstrong notes, Cook has always pitched well in Great American Ballpark.
But let’s also be realistic: he’s pitched six games in that joint. Six. While, sure, he’s only pitched 11 in Petco Park, at least his results match up roughly with what a lot of pitchers do there (i.e. pitch better). Is he really confident that he’d continue to buck the trend of pitchers getting blown up on Cincinnati?
Call the Reds once and see what they’d do for you, Aaron. But go see the Padres in person. You may find your efforts in that direction more richly rewarded, at least in the long term.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 84
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 145
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (146)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)