Nov 2, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Aaron Cook is a free agent now that the Rockies have declined their $11 million option on him for 2012. And like a lot of recently-injured or ineffective starting pitchers, he said that he’d talk to the San Diego Padres. You know the pattern by now: it’s a big, pitcher-friendly park and it’s a great place for a one-year prove-yourself contract. The only downside: you don’t get to face the Padres offense several times a year. Still get the Giants, but no Padres.
But Cook told Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post that he’d talk to another team too: the Cincinnati Reds. Not exactly an obvious choice given that they play in a bandbox, but as Armstrong notes, Cook has always pitched well in Great American Ballpark.
But let’s also be realistic: he’s pitched six games in that joint. Six. While, sure, he’s only pitched 11 in Petco Park, at least his results match up roughly with what a lot of pitchers do there (i.e. pitch better). Is he really confident that he’d continue to buck the trend of pitchers getting blown up on Cincinnati?
Call the Reds once and see what they’d do for you, Aaron. But go see the Padres in person. You may find your efforts in that direction more richly rewarded, at least in the long term.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 35
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 13
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 5
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 65
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games