Nov 2, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
If Albert Pujols leaves St. Louis this winter, at least its residents will still have a 10-foot tall reminder of him outside of his restaurant in Westport.
Pujols unveiled the 1,100-pound bronze statue, which features his likeness pointing with both hands towards the sky, outside Pujols’s Westport Grill this morning.
“There’s going to be a lot of people asking, ‘Well, why is he not swinging the bat?'” Pujols told the crowd during his speech. “That’s to remind me it’s not about me, but it’s about Jesus Christ who gave his life so we can have eternal life. It’s really easy to lose focus when you have millions of people telling you how great you are.”
Boy, you can say that again. Oh yeah…
The funds for the statue were provided by an anonymous donor two years ago. It was created by Harry Weber, who is also responsible for the statues of Stan Musial and Lou Brock outside Busch Stadium.
Pujols didn’t have much to say about free agency during the unveiling, but he did respond when asked if the Pujols Family Foundation would remain in St. Louis if he signed elsewhere.
“Hopefully I don’t have to make that decision,” Pujols said. “We’re just going to see where God takes us. I don’t want to get ahead of God’s plan and say ‘Oh, we’re going to be here,’ and then something happens and I look bad. Whether it’s here or wherever, I believe our foundation is going to help the city of St. Louis.”
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)