Nov 2, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
If Albert Pujols leaves St. Louis this winter, at least its residents will still have a 10-foot tall reminder of him outside of his restaurant in Westport.
Pujols unveiled the 1,100-pound bronze statue, which features his likeness pointing with both hands towards the sky, outside Pujols’s Westport Grill this morning.
“There’s going to be a lot of people asking, ‘Well, why is he not swinging the bat?'” Pujols told the crowd during his speech. “That’s to remind me it’s not about me, but it’s about Jesus Christ who gave his life so we can have eternal life. It’s really easy to lose focus when you have millions of people telling you how great you are.”
Boy, you can say that again. Oh yeah…
The funds for the statue were provided by an anonymous donor two years ago. It was created by Harry Weber, who is also responsible for the statues of Stan Musial and Lou Brock outside Busch Stadium.
Pujols didn’t have much to say about free agency during the unveiling, but he did respond when asked if the Pujols Family Foundation would remain in St. Louis if he signed elsewhere.
“Hopefully I don’t have to make that decision,” Pujols said. “We’re just going to see where God takes us. I don’t want to get ahead of God’s plan and say ‘Oh, we’re going to be here,’ and then something happens and I look bad. Whether it’s here or wherever, I believe our foundation is going to help the city of St. Louis.”
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 5
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 40
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)