Albert Pujols unveils statue of himself outside restaurant

Nov 2, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT

Albert Pujols, Harry Weber AP

If Albert Pujols leaves St. Louis this winter, at least its residents will still have a 10-foot tall reminder of him outside of his restaurant in Westport.

Pujols unveiled the 1,100-pound bronze statue, which features his likeness pointing with both hands towards the sky, outside Pujols’s Westport Grill this morning.

“There’s going to be a lot of people asking, ‘Well, why is he not swinging the bat?'” Pujols told the crowd during his speech. “That’s to remind me it’s not about me, but it’s about Jesus Christ who gave his life so we can have eternal life. It’s really easy to lose focus when you have millions of people telling you how great you are.”

Boy, you can say that again. Oh yeah…

The funds for the statue were provided by an anonymous donor two years ago. It was created by Harry Weber, who is also responsible for the statues of Stan Musial and Lou Brock outside Busch Stadium.

Pujols didn’t have much to say about free agency during the unveiling, but he did respond when asked if the Pujols Family Foundation would remain in St. Louis if he signed elsewhere.

“Hopefully I don’t have to make that decision,” Pujols said. “We’re just going to see where God takes us. I don’t want to get ahead of God’s plan and say ‘Oh, we’re going to be here,’ and then something happens and I look bad. Whether it’s here or wherever, I believe our foundation is going to help the city of St. Louis.”

1. Kyle - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Is it just me or is that statue way too skinny?

• ultimatecardinalwarrior - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Maybe it’s Young Albert Pujols.

• Kyle - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Real young.

• lovesmesomeme - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Pre HGH

2. halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I like Pujols, but come on. Allowing a statue of yourself to be placed in front of your own restaurant reeks of hubris. When customer’s come to your restaurant to get a bite to eat it’s like “Look at me. I’m the great Albert Pujols. Look at my statue. Look how awesome I am.”

• Matthew Pouliot - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM

With the millions of people telling him how great he was, he probably didn’t even notic

Damn, I love nachos.

• paperlions - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Yeah, nobody every puts a picture of themselves outside of their own businesses….ever. He is Albert Fucking Pujols….of course he has a statue outside of his own restaurant.

Damn Bicepts, is this what you are going to be like without baseball for the next 4 months?

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I like throwing my wisdom out there in the offseason, bicepts-style.

Think of me as a whisper in the wind on a cold winter day.

• cur68 - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Dude, sometimes you are a friggin poet.

• spudchukar - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Or blow hard.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Cur and Spuds,

You are both correct.

Darkseid to Superman: “I am many things, Kal-El.”

• paperlions - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Dude….sometimes…you crack me up. :-D

• ultimatecardinalwarrior - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I consider it great marketing. Of course Cardinals fans are going to go to this restaurant to get their picture taken with the Pujols statue. And then they’re going to eat $20 steaks. Kaching!

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Question: If his restaurants become successful and they build multiple restaurants, will they build multiple statues?

• lovesmesomeme - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:31 PM

He is the anonymous donor.
      And quit with the “it’s up to God BS.” When and who he signs with is going to be they will pay him the most $$$ with the most years. Don’t get me wrong I would do the exact same thing. Do you really thinks God gives a rats a$$ where he plays?

• Joe - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Perhaps you are familiar with the fact that all US currency carries the words, “In God We Trust.” The team that comes up with the most God will win the bidding.

• lovesmesomeme - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Excellent point Joe

3. sknut - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM

biceps-did u not read his quote. he knows its not about him and is giving glory to God and him alone. Good for you Albert you seem to have your priorities in order.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I did read the quote. What I stated has nothing to do what Pujols said. All I said was that on the surface, putting a statue of one’s self in front of one’s own restaurant reeks of hubris.

The statue was built and funded independent of Pujols. Put the statue in front of the entrance to the ballpark. It just looks bad putting it in front of a restaurant. That’s all I’m saying. Just my opinion.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Oh make no mistake Biceps…you can you bet your ass there will be a statue of him in from the entrance to the ballpark (immediately after he retires).
        Right along side Ozzie, Stan, Lou, Gibson and the many others.

4. okwhitefalcon - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:29 PM

More importantly, how the hell did Harry Weber get the gig?

His Stan Musial rendering is flat out bad, really bad.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Wonderful question Falcon…cause’ you are dead on. Stan’s statue isn’t ummm…yeah.
      Could be better…we will put it that way.

5. yankeesgameday - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Tacky.

6. rambodiaz - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Wow. So disappointed that it’s not a replica of him pulling off a hit and run.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:04 PM

How would the sculptor mold a hit and run into a statue?

• cur68 - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Umpire calling the out at 2nd with a tiny Pujols in the background, the bat still on his shoulder next to Mike Napoli, mask askew mid fist pump and tiny Scoscia angel tearing its own wings out above him? Hell man, I’d model that in mashed potatoes…

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:46 PM

cur,

Good one. You could mold the hit and run ala Richard Dryfuss “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” style with your mash potatoes idea.

By the way, have you commented recently with Utley’s Hair? I haven’t seen him on the board in a while.

• rambodiaz - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM

cur nailed it in his comment, ‘ceps.

Gonna ask Mrs. D to make mashed potatoes tomorrow, just to start working on the concept.

• cur68 - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Rambo; have Mrs. D use cream cheese in the mashed potatoes. Makes them more cohesive for modelling an then, when you eat the model, its is soooo tasty…

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Yeah…cause’ he never successfully implements the hit and run.
      Wear it out…wear it out…wear it the fuck out.

7. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:08 PM

If that were in the NY area it would soon be tied to a roof and headed to the scrap yard.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:17 PM

LOL!!!!! Best comment of the day!!!! And true. Same could be said if the statue was in Philly. With the economy, all metal is up for grabs by people looking to make a quick buck.

Great comment!!!!!

• sknut - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Well lets see if he doesn’t re-sign with the Cards and see what the fine people of St. Louis do to said statue. I am guessing SIlva would lead the revolution.

8. hotkarlsandwich - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Kinda looks like the Rocky Statue. With less Roided up Russians and Adrian.

9. Jonny 5 - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:35 AM

For a guy who preaches like he’s very religious, he tends to ignore something that may be important. If he is indeed as religious as he thinks he is.

Deut 27:15-CURSED BE THE MAN THAT MAKETH ANY GRAVEN OR MOLTEN IMAGE, AN ABOMINATION UNTO THE LORD, THE WORK OF THE HANDS OF THE CRAFTSMAN, AND PUTTETH IT IN A SECRET PLACE: AND ALL THE PEOPLE SHALL ANSWER AND SAY, AMEN.

Jere 51:17-EVERY MAN IS BRUTISH BY HIS KNOWLEDGE; EVERY FOUNDER IS CONFOUNDED BY THE GRAVEN IMAGE: FOR HIS MOLTEN IMAGE IS FALSEHOOD, AND THERE IS NO BREATH IN THEM
    Jere 51:18-THEY ARE VANITY, THE WORK OF ERRORS: IN THE TIME OF THEIR VISITATION THEY SHALL PERISH.

And there are probably 20 or more passages which warn against the making of idols in the bible. I know this, not because I’m a religious nut, I don’t attend church.. But I couldn’t help but read the bible myself as it’s an important part of human history at the very least.

What do I think about this? I personally think that it’s pretty egotistical of him. And I also think he must have made an image of himself when he was 18, because damn, that’s a skinny version, slightly slimmer than what you see on his rookie card.

10. Joe - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Nothing says, “it’s not about me, it’s about Jesus,” like putting up a 10-foot statue of yourself.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4769)