Nov 2, 2011, 3:11 PM EDT
Ryne Sandberg may not be an option to replace Mike Quade as Cubs manager, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cardinals have asked the Phillies for permission to interview Sandberg as a potential Tony La Russa replacement.
Sandberg managed at Triple-A in the Phillies’ system this season and according to Rosenthal they’ll grant the Cubs permission.
Sandberg was passed over for the Cubs’ opening when then-general manager Jim Hendry decided to give Quade the full-time job and new team president Theo Epstein said today that Quade’s replacement must have significant big-league coaching experience, which seemingly rules out the Hall of Fame second baseman.
Chicago passing on Sandberg multiple times is plenty interesting, but his ending up in St. Louis would crank up the drama even further.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)