Nov 2, 2011, 3:11 PM EDT
Ryne Sandberg may not be an option to replace Mike Quade as Cubs manager, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cardinals have asked the Phillies for permission to interview Sandberg as a potential Tony La Russa replacement.
Sandberg managed at Triple-A in the Phillies’ system this season and according to Rosenthal they’ll grant the Cubs permission.
Sandberg was passed over for the Cubs’ opening when then-general manager Jim Hendry decided to give Quade the full-time job and new team president Theo Epstein said today that Quade’s replacement must have significant big-league coaching experience, which seemingly rules out the Hall of Fame second baseman.
Chicago passing on Sandberg multiple times is plenty interesting, but his ending up in St. Louis would crank up the drama even further.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)