Nov 2, 2011, 3:11 PM EDT
Ryne Sandberg may not be an option to replace Mike Quade as Cubs manager, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cardinals have asked the Phillies for permission to interview Sandberg as a potential Tony La Russa replacement.
Sandberg managed at Triple-A in the Phillies’ system this season and according to Rosenthal they’ll grant the Cubs permission.
Sandberg was passed over for the Cubs’ opening when then-general manager Jim Hendry decided to give Quade the full-time job and new team president Theo Epstein said today that Quade’s replacement must have significant big-league coaching experience, which seemingly rules out the Hall of Fame second baseman.
Chicago passing on Sandberg multiple times is plenty interesting, but his ending up in St. Louis would crank up the drama even further.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)