Nov 2, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
Chris Coghlan hit .321 to win the Rookie of the Year award in 2009, but has batted just .252 with a .695 OPS in two seasons since then and spent the final three months of this year in the minors.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post asked Marlins president Larry Beinfest where Coghlan fits into the team’s 2012 plans and the answer seemed to indicate that he doesn’t figure prominently:
It’s been disappointing, really, the last two years. I think this is an important offseason and certainly spring training for Chris to get back to where he was when he won the Rookie of the Year. We still see him coming back as an outfielder and in center field. He needs to re-establish himself healthy which we anticipate he will be with the knee or knees and come in and compete. We already know he can be an offensive force, a great left-handed hitter.
“Great left-handed hitter” is obviously a stretch and based on his minor-league track record Coghlan was playing over his head quite a bit as a rookie, but he’s also still just 27 years old and at the very least would seem to have a future somewhere as a utility man. Whether that future will be with the Marlins is unclear, because Capozzi writes that they’ll be looking for a new center fielder this offseason and speculates that Coghlan will begin 2012 back in the minors unless he’s traded.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)