Nov 2, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
McDonald batted just .169/.222/.203 in 63 plate appearances after joining Arizona in late August, but he’s still a capable defender at the age of 37 and will provide the Snakes with insurance at shortstop in case Stephen Drew (fractured ankle) isn’t back to 100 percent by Opening Day next April.
McDonald appeared in 26 games at third base, 21 games at second base and 38 games at shortstop during the 2011 season. He’s also seen time in the outfield in recent years.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20