ESPN’s PR people gave away the Gold Glove winners in advance

Nov 2, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT

The Gold Glove is a joke of an award these days. The process determining the winners is hopelessly flawed in conception (are other players and managers the best judge of this stuff?) and almost but not quite always results in the wrong people winning (No Peter Bourjos? Really?). But hey, an award is an award and it’s fun to be surprised who wins it when the announcement comes, right?

Well, not in this case.

For the first time ever ESPN televised the Gold Glove announcement last night. Before the announcement, however, its p.r. site promoted the show, listing the finalists for the award at each position in its press release.  Tell me if you notice anything funny about the list of finalists, as taken from a screen capture of the page:

source:

Notice anything? Like, how the guy who was later announced as the winner has his name written in a smaller font? As if it were pasted in from a list of the winners or something, messing with the formatting?  Happens to bloggers all the time, I hear, but I’ve never seen a press release like this tip news-to-come.

Now, to be fair: this wasn’t brought to my attention until after the awards were announced last night and it’s possible that these names were altered on the web site after the fact to reflect the winners.  Possible, but not probable, however, because the rest of the release is still in the future tense and nothing else denoting the winners as winners has been done. Press releases are a lot of things, but subtle is not one of them.  If they were actually wanting to make a second announcement — who won, not who was nominated — a second release or a radically-updated initial release almost certainly would have issued.

This is pretty unimportant — like I said, the Gold Glove award stinks on ice, and p.r. as a concept is the very definition of frivolous — but it’s funny that the only thing interesting the award had going for it the year (i.e. the awards show) was subject to a spoiler.

UPDATE:  I was not aware of this before because I missed the comments, but reader brucewaynewins caught this and noted it in the thread below the Fielding Bible post that went up late Monday night.  Great catch, Bruce!

1. brucewaynewins - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Hey I pointed this out yesterday at 11 am in the fielding bible awards post.

• brucewaynewins - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:25 AM

brucewaynewins – Nov 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM
      Hopefully someone notices this but if you look at the Gold Glove Finalists list the first name in every category in a smaller font. Most of the names I looked at seem as if they’d be the likely person to win “assuming” the award goes to the best fielder and not just the biggest name. I know that’s not how it works but it’d be odd if they accidently gave away the winners.

So if thats the case … spoiler alert

Golden Glove Winners are:

Pitchers: Mark Buehrle, CWS and Clayton Kershaw, LAD
      Catchers : Matt Wieters, BAL and Yadier Molina, STL
      1B : Adrian Gonzalez, BOS and Joey Votto, CIN
      2B: Dustin Pedroia , BOS and Brandon Phillips, CIN
      3B: Adrian Beltre, TEX and Placido Polanco, PHI
      SS: Erick Aybar, LAA and Troy Tulowitzki, COL
      LF: Alex Gordon, KC and Gerardo Parra, ARI (eh)
      CF: Jacoby Ellsbury, BOS and Matt Kemp, LAD
      RF: Nick Markakis, BAL and Andre Ethier, LAD

4 1

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Wow, sorry about that Bruce! Since I didn’t write that post I didn’t see the comments to it, so I totally missed it. I’m going to update the post to note your good catch.

• professorperry - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Then you missed an epic HBT thread, filled with trolls and thugs, the outraged defenders of Jeter’s honor, and the grand conspiracy in which the Fielding Bible is personally responsible for the decline of western civilization.

• brucewaynewins - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I wonder if they’ll do the same thing for the Silver Slugger awards?

2. spudchukar - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:36 AM

While I trust the Fielding Bible awards more than the Golden Gloves, it is kinda lame that they only choose one winner per position. That certainly makes the choices easier, with considerable less controversy. When you choose one for each league, you subject yourself to more scrutiny. Maybe next year somebody other than Peter Gammons. Albert Pujols the eighth best 1B?, Brendan Ryan not in the top 10 defensive SS? What gives Pete?

3. sparkycon - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I’m sorry maybe because there is no sarcasm font I am missing something Craig but are you saying that the players and managers are not a good judge? Who is a better judge, a writer or blogqger who has never played the game? (sarcasm font) Yeah that makes sense.

• Ted - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM

@ sparkycon: C C is saying they are not the best judge, and I agree. Day in and day out, players have no clue as to what is happening on 30 other teams. They know other players mainly by reputation, not by personal observation (except for what they see when they play a particular team). Let the people who actually watch and study the players decide.

• sparkycon - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Ted, thanks. While I agree with your statement, I also am unsure that sportswriters are qualified either. I certainly don’t think they should vote in players to the HOF. They are biased, hold grudges, etc….

4. eaglebobby - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I don’t understand how a guy who plays on the same team as one of the best pitching staffs in baseball, let alone the NL–who’s committed ZERO errors–doesn’t get a gold glove. But the guy who wins it has 5 errors, and more chances, because his team’s pitching staff is not as good and hence he got more chances.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Who are you referring to? Kind of vague.

• Kevin S. - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I think he’s referring to Shane Victorino. While I’m not sure the Hawaiin was necessarily the best NL CF, he was absolutely better than Matt Kemp, as was at least half the league.

• professorperry - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

If Shane wants to a win a gold glove for his fielding prowess, he better hit more HRs.

• hep3 - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Kemp won because he had a better offensive year. It routinely happens with the Gold Gloves. It shouldn’t, but it does.

5. evanhartford - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Craig, I get that the Gold Glove award is hopeless flawed, but is there any baseball award nowadays that ISN’T hopelessly flawed? I mean, the All Star game is a popularity contest. The HOF voters are on a witch hunt. The MVP has more to do with the team than the player. I suppose the Cy Young is probably one of the least flawed awards, but its still pretty contraversial to most Sabermeticians because the voters tend to favor wins. Meanwhile, Reyes tainted to the batting title and sabermeticians would frown on an award for best batting average. I guess the only awards that aren’t hopelessly flawed are the World Series Title and the Triple Crown.

• umrguy42 - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Triple Crown involves Batting Average, so no joy there. And you’ve obviously missed the arguments that the World Series only is about who can excel in three short series (problems of small sample size). :p

• evanhartford - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Well I would think the Triple Crown would be more flawed becasue of the RBIs but the reason I think its “ok” is because:

A) Its not subjective
        B) You can’t really argue that a Triple Crown Winner wasn’t the among the best all around hitters (if not the best) in any given year.

The World Series Title is also not subjective and it takes a large sample size to have a chance at winning it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Meanwhile, Reyes tainted to the batting title

Can we stop saying this? Even Ted Williams did this once*. It’s not like Reyes walked off the field after slaughtering a basket of kittens.

*http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS195709290.shtml

• evanhartford - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Nice try Church. Williams had BA locked up when he sat those last two at bats. Had he gone 2-4 (instead of 2-2) he still would have won the batting title by a mile…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Damnit, last time I trust those guys from BP without checking.

/cry

• heynerdlinger - Nov 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Yep, and Mantle didn’t even play in any of the final five games that season either. Williams could have gone hitless in his last 8 games and still beat out Mantle at the end.

6. brucewaynewins - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Personally (and I’m sure I’m a minority here) I feel like the Gold Gloves did a better job of getting things right than usual this year.

7. brucewaynewins - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Does Rawling simply sponsor this or do they actually own the rights to the Gold Gloves?

• firedude7160 - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I believe they actually own the rights to the gold glove brand. They regularly promote (or at least used to regularly promote) themselves as “The gold Glove People”

They also make an entire “Gold Glove” line of baseball gloves

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2608)