Nov 2, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
That means Blanco is a free agent and the 40-year-old veteran will be looking for another backup catcher gig in what will be his 15th season.
Blanco is coming off a career-year at the plate, albeit in very limited playing time as Miguel Montero‘s understudy, hitting .250 with eight homers and a career-high .870 OPS in 37 games.
He posted a modest .669 OPS during the previous three seasons, so that offensive outburst was a pretty clear fluke, but Blanco remains remarkably good at shutting down running games with his arm and would fit well on plenty of teams as a part-timer.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (161)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)