National League Gold Glove winners include three Dodgers

Nov 2, 2011, 2:00 AM EST

82nd MLB All-Star Game - Batting Practice Getty Images

We already went over the American League Gold Glove winners, so now it’s the National League’s turn.

Again, things were a little different this year. In addition to three finalists at each defensive position, we also had one winner from each outfield position for the first time.

Courtesy of the Associated Press, here are your 2011 NL Gold Glove winners:

C – Yadier Molina, Cardinals (fourth Gold Glove)
1B – Joey Votto, Reds (first Gold Glove)
2B – Brandon Phillips, Reds (third Gold Glove)
SS – Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies (second Gold Glove)
3B – Placido Polanco, Phillies (third Gold Glove)
LF – Gerardo Parra, Diamondbacks (first Gold Glove)
CF – Matt Kemp, Dodgers (second Gold Glove)
RF – Andre Ethier, Dodgers (first Gold Glove)
P – Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers (first Gold Glove)

Kemp, Ethier and Kershaw are the first trio of Dodgers to win the award in the same season. Kemp previously won the Gold Glove in 2009 while Ethier and Kershaw are both first-time winners. Again, I’m not going to waste too much time railing against the voting process, but Ethier sticks out like a sore thumb on this list. Justin Upton, who was announced as a Fielding Bible award winner on Monday, wasn’t even one of the finalists for right field. Oh well.

On the bright side, there aren’t too many other complaints here. Yadier Molina was a no-brainer behind the plate, becoming the first NL catcher to win the Gold Glove in four consecutive seasons since Charles Johnson from 1995-1998. While not a household name, Arizona’s Gerardo Parra was a tremendous pick for left field. Kudos for getting that one right. Polanco was pretty much a lock to win at a watered-down third base position, despite appearing in just 122 games this season. He joins Darin Erstad as the only players to win Gold Gloves at two positions.

1. jimsjam33 - Nov 2, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Tulowitski a Dodger ? Nice thought . He’s a good one .

• D.J. Short - Nov 2, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Fixed! It’s 2 a.m., so you know how it is.

2. jimsjam33 - Nov 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM

I thought I was dreaming . I post about a dream that Tulo was a Dodger and then you make a correction in a split second . Nightmare !

3. lanflfan - Nov 2, 2011 at 3:18 AM

I love Either but he is not a Gold Glover in my book. Kemp, yes. Kershaw, yes. But Either, I really have to question. I know he isn’t Manny out there, but there have to be better candidates.

4. rexryanisablowhard - Nov 2, 2011 at 6:03 AM

3 GG winners, and likely the CY and MVP, and the Dodgers finish 82-79 in a pretty weak division…pathetic!

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:34 AM

You’re talking about 3 people on a team of 24. But, whatever, 8 readers here think you’re da bomb.

5. chew1985 - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Placido Polanco has been playing hurt ever since the beginning of 2010 with the Phillies. And the last six weeks of 2011 he should not even have been on the field. His winning the Gold Glove at third base represents his SECOND position winning the award. Has that been done before? He is a true gamer even with injuries and age robbing him of some skills. I think back to an ESPN game years ago in his first go-round with the Phillies when color guy Joe Morgan said “I like Polanco because he does everything well.” Many times since Morgan said it…Polanco has proven it.

6. leerosenthall - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM

I think part of the reason they gave it to Polanco this season was because a lot of people thought he deserved to win it last season but was passed over. These “deciders” seem to do stuff like that every year.

• leerosenthall - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Which doesn’t mean I don’t think Polanco deserved the GG. I’m thrilled for him — he’s one of my favorite players, and he’s played hurt for the better part of two seasons. He carried the team in April, before Utley got back into the lineup, but then the injuries took over and Polly faltered badly at the plate. He still fielded his position very well, including in the playoffs, and he deserved the GG IMHO.

It was Charlie Manuel’s choice to play Polanco in the postseason, and then he threw him under bus after the TEAM’s collapse. I can’t imagine him EVER doing that to St. Chase Utley.

7. paperlions - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Matt Kemp does NOT play good CF defense….Chris Young and Cameron Maybin do….Kemp is bad….classic “he had a great offensive season so let’s give himi the GG vote”

• phillyphreak - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Yea the Kemp pick is weird too though he’s not bad. Bourn would have been a good choice too

• phillyphreak - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Should read “I thought the Kemp pick was werid too…”

8. paperlions - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:33 AM

For comparison, in the Fielding Bible awards, voters can list 10 players at each position, 16 different CFs made at least on of the 10 lists, Kemp was not ranked in the top 10 on a single list….and many (not all) of those voters spend a great deal of time actually studying defense.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I also defer to the Fielding Bible Awards, most of the panelists there do their homework, though my eyebrows went up when I saw one of the panelists was Tom Tango Fan Poll… say what? a POLL?!? by Fans? I need a little more explanation on the nature of this poll before I can take it seriously.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM

OTOH the poll picked Peter Bourjois for CF… my curiosity has perked up…

• paperlions - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Yeah, I thought that was weird too….but the fan poll did far better than Gammons.

9. phukyouk - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

WOW! Jeter didn’t win in the AL or the NL. its officially meaningless.

10. 78mu - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Papa Rasmus wants to know why his son did not win a GG in each league last year. He’s gotten TLR out and now he’s after the GG voters. Heads will roll.

• gostlcards5 - Nov 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I’d give that 10,000 thumbs-ups, if I could… freaking hilarious!

11. dihigosghost - Nov 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM

This is Matt Kemp’s second Gold Glove at center. I have watched Matt and all the other center fielders play and he deserves the award just as much or more as any of the others. James Loney should have won the Gold Glove at first base this year hands-down. Sometimes you have to actually watch the players instead of defering to some unused polls.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4666)
  2. M. Kemp (3714)
  3. M. Cabrera (2916)
  4. J. Kang (2717)
  5. M. Morse (2603)
  1. J. Upton (2595)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2259)
  3. A. Rios (2258)