Red Sox interview second potential skipper: Dale Sveum

Nov 2, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT

dale sveum ap AP

On Monday, the Red Sox brought in Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin to interview for the club’s managerial vacancy. The chat went well, according to Mackanin, who remains a promising candidate.

But the interview process is far from over.

According to the AP, via NBCSports.com, the Red Sox held their second meeting for the open gig on Wednesday with Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum.

Sveum served as Boston’s third base coach from 2004-2005 and still has ties within various levels of the organization. He has managed full seasons in the minor leagues and has also served as an interim skipper in the bigs (for the Brewers in ’08).

The Red Sox are expected to speak with several more baseball men before reaching a decision.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Nov 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I don’t know how good of a manager Sveum will or wont ever be but I’d like to see him get his chance. Guys who want to be in Milwaukee like Dale always have me rooting for them. Milwaukee just wasn’t the place for him right now. I’m very happy with who the Crew has now just to be clear.

• brewcrewchamps - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM

I agree. I kinda figured he’s closer to being gone after this year, but I would like him to stay obviously.

2. humanexcrement - Nov 3, 2011 at 5:21 AM

It’s only a matter of time before Sveum gets a big-league managing job, but I’m not sure he’s the right type of guy to deal with a roster packed with big superstars, big contracts and big egos. I see Sveum as more the National League type, or at least skipper of a small market team of talented youngsters.

• JBerardi - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Yes, because there’s no superstars in the NL and no youngsters with big egos.

3. professorperry - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Red Sox fans, generally speaking, refer to him as Dale “Send-em-in” Sveum, for his habit of getting players thrown out at the plate when he was 3b coach.

I have no idea if this is fair.

But he is not loved in MA.

• JBerardi - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Alex Speier:

Interestingly, the very traits that put him under a microscope at times while a third base coach might represent assets as he is considered for the job of Red Sox manager. Sveum has experienced the scrutiny of Boston, yet was unfailingly accountable when runners he waved home got thrown out at the plate.

He put in the necessary preparation to make snap decisions — studying outfielders’ throwing arms, assessing their throwing positions and the speed of his runners as well as the game situation — and if he was wrong, he nonetheless had the courage of his convictions while explaining the thought process. He knows what it is like to make mistakes in the public eye in Boston and to live with them. Fear did not guide his decisions.

4. uyf1950 - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I read somewhere where Sveum is high on the list for manager. Anyone think the 2 clubs (Sox and Cubs) will fight over him as well just like Theo’s compensation.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline