Nov 2, 2011, 5:38 AM EDT
UPDATE: Major League Baseball and the Dodgers have released a joint statement confirming the earlier Los Angeles Times report:
“The Los Angeles Dodgers and Major League Baseball announced that they have agreed today to a court supervised process to sell the team and its attendant media rights in a manner designed to realize maximum value for the Dodgers and their owner, Frank McCourt. The Blackstone Group LP will manage the sale process.”
12:48 AM: Rejoice, Dodgers fans.
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Frank McCourt has agreed to sell the Dodgers. The team will be auctioned off in bankruptcy court.
No firm details yet, but Shaikin reported late last night that McCourt was nearing an agreement with MLB on a bankruptcy settlement to sell the team. The deal is expected to include Dodger Stadium and the surrounding parking lots. It’s estimated that a sale would command a record asking price of $1 billion or more.
We’ll undoubtedly have a lot more on this situation in the morning, so stay tuned.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 39
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 70
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (168)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)