Nov 2, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
On the heels of Tuesday’s news that Blue Jays assistant GM Tony Lacava turned down the Orioles’ GM opening comes word from ESPN’s Buster Olney today that Jerry Dipoto was originally Baltimore’s top choice, but that he withdrew from the process following his interview.
Dipoto has since been named GM of the Angels.
After relaying the news, which came from an undisclosed source, Olney went on to tweet:
There are other highly regarded assistant GMs telling friends they would not consider O’s job if called. O’s have major perception problem.
That’s apparently in addition to the reality problem they’ve struggled with for years.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)