Nov 2, 2011, 5:40 PM EST
On the heels of Tuesday’s news that Blue Jays assistant GM Tony Lacava turned down the Orioles’ GM opening comes word from ESPN’s Buster Olney today that Jerry Dipoto was originally Baltimore’s top choice, but that he withdrew from the process following his interview.
Dipoto has since been named GM of the Angels.
After relaying the news, which came from an undisclosed source, Olney went on to tweet:
There are other highly regarded assistant GMs telling friends they would not consider O’s job if called. O’s have major perception problem.
That’s apparently in addition to the reality problem they’ve struggled with for years.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)