Nov 2, 2011, 5:40 PM EST
On the heels of Tuesday’s news that Blue Jays assistant GM Tony Lacava turned down the Orioles’ GM opening comes word from ESPN’s Buster Olney today that Jerry Dipoto was originally Baltimore’s top choice, but that he withdrew from the process following his interview.
Dipoto has since been named GM of the Angels.
After relaying the news, which came from an undisclosed source, Olney went on to tweet:
There are other highly regarded assistant GMs telling friends they would not consider O’s job if called. O’s have major perception problem.
That’s apparently in addition to the reality problem they’ve struggled with for years.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 78
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (78)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)